Supermarket Juice Wine How To guide and Recipes.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bobsbeer posted -

Here is one of my favorites:
EX001 Exotic Pineapple
16/9/12 Recipe Volume 25 lt

Grape Juice
Aldi White Grape Juice lt 5

Fruit Juice
Aldi Exotic lt 1
Aldi Pineapple lt 1
Aldi Apple Juice lt 2
Aldi Grapefruit lt 1

Dried Fruit/Flowers
Sultanas 200g

Sugar
Granulated Kg 4

Total Sugar 5392
Sugar per Lt 215.68
Expected SG 1.080
Alc % 11.35

What yeast is used for this?

Bob hasn't posted for awhile i imagine it'll be a standard wine yeast, i use Youngs super wine yeast compound in all of mine and haven't had one fail.

1593687512154.png

Last edited:
Hm some juices probably not make a nice WOW... experimented with grapefruit juice... it’s nearly fermented but tasted after taking hydrometer reading and the grapefruit is quite bitter and overpowers everything
1lpineapple
1l grapefruit
2L apple
500g sultanas
0.5l passion fruit rubicon in 10l water bottle
(hoped for some nice dry white wine with hints of and it pretty much tastes like grapefruit ) not sure if to dump it or let it finish, bottle and re-visit in few months time :)

I have the same feeling with my attempt to include cranberries ... I'm still waiting as I think perhaps few months ageing will adjust the flavors.

Perhaps I stop experimenting and stick with the forums Rosé :) and kits :)
Don’t think I can find any replacement for white WOW without grape juice...

I was in asda this morning and picked up 1 litre of red grape juice and 2 litres of apple juice. Is it ok to use the whole 2 litres of apple juice for the forums rose recipe?

Hi Gar, Ive only ever put 1.5ltr apple in so not sure if it will add a bit more apple to the final taste which might take it away from the Rose' style?.Hopefully someone else might be more help.

I was in asda this morning and picked up 1 litre of red grape juice and 2 litres of apple juice. Is it ok to use the whole 2 litres of apple juice for the forums rose recipe?

That should be absolutely fine,I’ve made one with about 1.75L Apple as i had an open carton. Tasted like wine 👍🏻

Perhaps I stop experimenting and stick with the forums Rosé :) and kits :)
Don’t think I can find any replacement for white WOW without grape juice...

There is no right or wrong but having made lots of differnt wines from many juices I would say always use one litre of grape juice the ones I made without were always inferior.

Supermarket Juice Wine how to guide plus Recipes.

Some members are finding their supermarkets are not stocking White grape juice but have Red grape juice, Red grape juice goes well with apple, cranberry, pomegranate or raspberry juice,
Red grape juice does not make red wine it ends up like a shop bought Rosé wine .

In the video below he makes orange wine and uses 1 litre of orange juice and 1 litre of white grape juice you can switch this for any other juice and also use red grape juice if you cannot find white grape juice.

Some supermarket juices (Pomegranate, cranberry etc) are less than 50% juice so you need to add two of these to one of 100% grape juice per Demijohn (DJ).

The two videos below show you the ingredients and the method.

Don't take too much notice of the time quoted for clearing as he intended to let it clear naturally if you use wine finings (KwiK Clear or Youngs Clear It) it only takes 48 hours.

Good luck. thumb

Edit June 2017
To give it a little extra flavour we now use 1.5 litres of apple juice to 1 litre of Red Grape Juice and reduce the sugar by 50g to keep the ABV% the same as in the original.

Part 1 -

A couple of minor mistakes in the Video -

Pectolase is used to reduce the risk of pectin haze.

Glycerine is added to improve mouth feel. (many member no longer use this as we found it doesn't actually make that much difference)

Leave more headspace in the Demijohn than in the video or it will come through the airlock (as it does in the video) and don't top up until until you have racked (syphoned) to the second DJ and degassed your wine, you need a bit of space when shaking the DJ to get rid of the CO2 and especially if using a drill attachment to degas it.

When racking to the second DJ he says it doesn't matter if a little sediment gets through as you will probably be re-racking again, there is no need to rack to a third DJ as your wine will be crystal clear after you have added finings (KwiK Clear or Youngs Clear It) to the second DJ.

Part 2 -

Rosé wine

1 litre Red grape juice.

1.5 litre Apple Juice.

750g Sugar.

1 tsp Tannin or a mug of very strong black tea. (3 bags stirred every couple of minutes as you put the rest of the ingredients together)

1 tsp Yeast (i use youngs super wine yeast compound)

1 tsp Yeast Nutrient.

1 tsp Pectolase.

1 tsp Glycerine. (optional)

1 tsp citric acid or juice of one lemon. (optional)

IDShot_225x225.jpg
5051413484562_280_IDShot_3.jpeg

what does this normally ferment out to?

Try youngs super wine yeast compound i used to get them down to .990 then back sweeten when i first started as i didn't know you could stop them a little early if not topping up with juice.

I have the same feeling with my attempt to include cranberries ... I'm still waiting as I think perhaps few months ageing will adjust the flavors.
Hm. I am brewing some cranberry, raisins and apple juice wine... perhaps was a mistake judging by your experience. The grapefruit one is mellowing a bit after few days now - hoping few weeks or a month will do it good. Hopefully the cranberry will do the same.

FB_IMG_1593966352644.jpgIMG-20200705-WA0016.jpegIMG-20200705-WA0005.jpeg
Yesterday's bottling.

So most of these were part of my first run of from juice wines made with 1 kilo of sugar, which I now realise is too much. 2 others have stalled with sg of 1020 and 1026, so added more nutrient to them, and will give them more time.

These are 5 blackcurrant cordial and black pepper sg 1006 14.8% a sweet dessert wine, 5 sweet red grape sg 1002 14.7%, 5 cranberry drink sg990 14.4% and 11 forum rose sg990 13.4%.

With too much sugar and the yeast maxed out and no change in sg in 2 weeks I had to call the blackcurrant and red grape despite them being too sweet.

I also didnt get 6 bottles as was worried about making a mess with too vigorous fermentation and didn't realise you could top up after a few days. This would have helped pull down sg and alcohol content as the 14.4/14.7/14.8 are stronger than I would prefer.

So have enjoyed process and will be maker some more batches over next couple of days now have learned some lessons.

I have had WOWs stall at 1.050 or 1.020 and ditched them; What temp did you pitch yeast at? I now warm mine to 25C before pitching and make sure they stay warm (21 +) after that and have had better luck. I use about 1100g of sugar INCLUDING what's in the juices - is that what you meant?

I have had WOWs stall at 1.050 or 1.020 and ditched them; What temp did you pitch yeast at? I now warm mine to 25C before pitching and make sure they stay warm (21 +) after that and have had better luck. I use about 1100g of sugar INCLUDING what's in the juices - is that what you meant?
No as this was my first attempt I just added a kilo of sugar to juice didnt know how to calculate combined sugar content. Hadnt found this as a resource so didnt know any better. Cant remember where I found the recipe so just went with 3 litres of juice, kilo of sugar hot water and yeast. Temp kept between 20/22 degrees, just used a standard yeast had found online. Didnt realized would make wine stall out and become rocket fuel. Found another that had pineapple juice and 1.5kilo of sugar IMG-20200618-WA0004.jpeg
So this time round knew to do a sg reading and realized had went wrong so split it and diluted with more juice adding 1litre more pineapple and 3 litres of orange as was what I had on hand sg1114 but used youngs super yeast so it fermented out to 994 in half time of original batches. It's way to strong at 15.7% but these are more about me learning process and practice not perfection

Attachments

• IMG-20200621-WA0003.jpeg
    IMG-20200621-WA0003.jpeg
    25.9 KB · Views: 213
I've done many red WOWs that, of course, turned out as rosés. But great with a barbecue. I like to get 14%. Current WOW is all red grape juice and it's redder than a rosé but still in a DJ, fining. Try 900g total sugars and use something like Youngs wine yeast compound which is cheaper than sachets.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back