Suppliers changing Best Before dates

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brasseur français

Reaction score
I'm new here but just wanted to get people's opinion on something. I recently received a delivery of 10 beer kits from a well known supplier in the UK (I live in France). The reason I bought so many was a very tempting "special offer" price. On opening the boxes I noticed some of the tins were rusty and thought better check the dates on them. On looking at the bottom of each tin it was clear that the dates printed had been rubbed off and a new date label stuck over the top. Under a strong light I could still make out the dates on most of the tins and they were all 2019. When I challenged the supplier (I was a bit angry) I got this response

"Thank you for your comments which I have read and take very personally. What you don’t know is the malt extract which comes in the tins does not have a best before date. It’s the yeast on top which dictates the date of the best before. We have carefully replaced the yeast on these cans and therefore had to redate the goods with a more relevant date. "

Firstly I can see no evidence of the yeast being changed (the lids look untouched) and secondly even if the yeast was changed is altering best before dates acceptable?

I'm new here but just wanted to get people's opinion on something. I recently received a delivery of 10 beer kits from a well known supplier in the UK (I live in France). The reason I bought so many was a very tempting "special offer" price. On opening the boxes I noticed some of the tins were rusty and thought better check the dates on them. On looking at the bottom of each tin it was clear that the dates printed had been rubbed off and a new date label stuck over the top. Under a strong light I could still make out the dates on most of the tins and they were all 2019. When I challenged the supplier (I was a bit angry) I got this response

"Thank you for your comments which I have read and take very personally. What you don’t know is the malt extract which comes in the tins does not have a best before date. It’s the yeast on top which dictates the date of the best before. We have carefully replaced the yeast on these cans and therefore had to redate the goods with a more relevant date. "

Firstly I can see no evidence of the yeast being changed (the lids look untouched) and secondly even if the yeast was changed is altering best before dates acceptable?
That's cause to return to sender as I take it they didn't mention they were out of date as the reason they were on sale. Personally I would brew and just change the yeast out but would definitely boycott that supplier.

That's cause to return to sender as I take it they didn't mention they were out of date as the reason they were on sale. Personally I would brew and just change the yeast out but would definitely boycott that supplier.
They didn't mention the date on their site and the price was not really low enough given the kits are a year or so out of date. I actually brew a lot of out of date kits and I shall just brew it with a different yeast, I can't be bothered to send it back, getting kits here is a big enough hassle at the moment

What annoys me is that I did not get what was being advertised.

They didn't mention the date on their site and the price was not really low enough given the kits are a year or so out of date. I actually brew a lot of out of date kits and I shall just brew it with a different yeast, I can't be bothered to send it back, getting kits here is a big enough hassle at the moment

What annoys me is that I did not get what was being advertised.
Well that dishonest advertising and we'll within your rights for compensation of some description
Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations

My St Peter's kit, which is made by Muntons, most definitely has BBE dates on the tins as well as the yeast and hops. The seller is lying. My two cans are printed BBE 01 2022. Yours could have been made in 2017 or earlier. If they were on offer was any reason given? I once received out-of-date yeast and the seller replaced it with no quibble plus an apology. But I don't think the malt extract needs a BBE date. Canning and high sugar content should make it very durable. But the fact that they were rusty as well is more a cause for concern.

Was the yeast INSIDE the can? Or did you mean the carton looked unopened?

Last edited:
My St Peter's kit, which is made by Muntons, most definitely has BBE dates on the tins as well as the yeast and hops. The seller is lying. My two cans are printed BBE 01 2022. Your yours could have been made in 2017 or earlier. If they were on offer was any reason given?
Every kit I have ever made had a date on it and so do these, the supplier has admitted that he has adjusted it though and reckons he is entitled to remove the original date simply because he has changed the yeast.

No reason was given for the sale just "special offer".

If you boycott the supplier you lose more than him; I would continue to use him. But if you can open the box next time upon delivery, there should be a BBE on the outside of each kit and you could refuse delivery. The return cost would be at his expense, but you might fight to get a refund. Paypal and Amazon have both secured refunds when I did not get what I ordered. A credit card company would also reimburse you (but take photos).

The seller takes your comments personally - were you rude? It's always better to be uber polite initially.

If you boycott the supplier you lose more than him; I would continue to use him. But if you can open the box next time upon delivery, there should be a BBE on the outside of each kit and you could refuse delivery. The return cost would be at his expense, but you might fight to get a refund. Paypal and Amazon have both secured refunds when I did not get what I ordered. A credit card company would also reimburse you (but take photos).

The seller takes your comments personally - were you rude? It's always better to be uber polite initially.
I probably was a bit rude when I read it back I said that deliberately removing BBE dates and putting on new ones showed a pretty high level of contempt for his customers

Haven't had time to read each post in detail, just scanned them so sorry if I missed it, but did you name the supplier?
WHAT'S HAPPENED HERE IS COMPLETELY UNNACCEPTABLE.
Kits are made from malt extract. I don't use either, but I do a lot of reading and the consensus is that MALT EXTRACT DARKENS and deteriorates with age. Therefore your beer will not be as good as it should be. The yeast, on the other hand, doesn't, in practice, deteriorate very much. I've used 10 year old dried yeast and it has fired up just the same as fresh.

My St Peter's kit, which is made by Muntons, most definitely has BBE dates on the tins as well as the yeast and hops. The seller is lying. My two cans are printed BBE 01 2022. Yours could have been made in 2017 or earlier. If they were on offer was any reason given? I once received out-of-date yeast and the seller replaced it with no quibble plus an apology. But I don't think the malt extract needs a BBE date. Canning and high sugar content should make it very durable. But the fact that they were rusty as well is more a cause for concern.

Was the yeast INSIDE the can? Or did you mean the carton looked unopened?
The kits were the type with the plastic tamper proof lid (coopers/black rock type) you can't get the lids of in one piece. The yeast is under the lid and had no date on it, it just says refer to tin for date.

I've done a kit with the yeast under a plastic lid on the tin. It would be quite easy to change the yeast and put the lid back on? How was yours tamper-proof? Mine was Wilko.

I've done a kit with the yeast under a plastic lid on the tin. It would be quite easy to change the yeast and put the lid back on? How was yours tamper-proof? Mine was Wilko.
I think Wilko's kits are muntons type and the lid can be popped on and off. Coopers and Black Rock use a lid that has holes round the outside is designed to tear as you remove it. They are very hard to get off in one piece.

I'm not really into name and shame but I won't buy from him again.
Why not? That's one of the reasons this forum exists to share information. Provided you have reported your situation fairly and accurately it would be useful for other members to take your experience into account when they are ordering stuff.

If you boycott the supplier you lose more than him; I would continue to use him. But if you can open the box next time upon delivery, there should be a BBE on the outside of each kit and you could refuse delivery.

Sorry but this is not a practical option. Couriers don't have the time to sit around on your doorstep whilst you inspect every item in a box to make sure you are happy with it.

I'd contact the supplier again and tell them it's just not good enough and you will ...
contact their area trading standards,
pursue a refund via your payment method,
and name them on social media as less than honest...
Unless they make good...

I say name the supplier. I think I can guess it.
There are thousands on here and I wouldn't want to see anyone else duped into buying these kits.

Back