Suspect leak in one Easy Keg during conditioning

Help Support The HomeBrew Forum:

Victor Churchill

Reaction score
Started a brew 21 Jan: MYO Bitter Kit from The Range, add 1Kg brewing sugar+0.5kg DME, OG 1052.
Transfer to 3x 5L ex-Hobgob EasyKegs + 10 bottles 6th Feb, SG 1006.
Sit kegs on windowsill over radiator in utility room.
Over the past week, PET tester bottle firming up nicely, kegs looking/sounding/feeling as if they are carbing up.
Today, check for carbonation. Take tiny sample from the integral bottom tap on each keg.
Keg #1 : fizz, whoosh. Keg #2: fizz, whoosh. Tastes like beer from a lively pump.
Keg#3: dribble. Tastes like beer left in the bottom of a glass after you've dunnk most of it - not 'bad' just flat. A little bit of bubble ('petillance'?) but not 'sparkling'.

Thought this keg might be stuck, upended it a couple of times, note a bit of liquid around the bung. And actually a bit of bubbling.

All 3 kegs are re using the original Hobgob friendly-for-reuse bungs: black soft rubber outside, red molded core.

I wonder if the keg opening might have got damaged but can't tell until I empty it ( obviously I didn't think it was). Any way I can rescue this keg?

Attachments

Dutto

Dutto
Reaction score
Personally, I would open it, taste it and (if it was okay) drink whatever I couldn't stick into bottles with half a teaspoonful of sugar.

From your description (a small amount of bubbles) there should be enough CO2 available to keep any air at bay, so I would seal up the bottles and let whatever was bottled carbonate for a week and then start testing (i.e. drinking it), if it still tasted okay.

Enjoy.

Victor Churchill

Reaction score
Thank you Dutto, I've done as you suggested. Did taste a little twangy, we will see how it comes out from the bottle in a while. From my previous runs with this kit, I believe it gets a bit better for keeping longer if one can keep one's hands off it long enough.

Latest posts

Group Builder