Suspected underpitch - recovery options

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Morning all,

Curiosity/quest for knowledge/impatience has led me to once again test this batch.

SG this morning is at 10.18ish IF I am reading the hydrometer properly... I'm doing this from the underside of the level to see if the whether the level was actually under the .020 line.

So its still going, and still bugger all movement in the airlock. Once im done with this batch there will be some deep investigation into where all the Co2 is going!

Think I will leave another day at 20 and then move to 22.

IF I can get this to keep going, it wont be Tribute as it will be almost 1% more potent....:beer1:

Thanks for all advise so far, has certainly helped guide me towards future ideas, but theres no substitute for doing!

W

Morning all,

Curiosity/quest for knowledge/impatience has led me to once again test this batch.

SG this morning is at 10.18ish IF I am reading the hydrometer properly... I'm doing this from the underside of the level to see if the whether the level was actually under the .020 line.

So its still going, and still bugger all movement in the airlock. Once im done with this batch there will be some deep investigation into where all the Co2 is going!

Think I will leave another day at 20 and then move to 22.

IF I can get this to keep going, it wont be Tribute as it will be almost 1% more potent....:beer1:

Thanks for all advise so far, has certainly helped guide me towards future ideas, but theres no substitute for doing!

W

Hmm. Sounds like it's ticking along quite slowly, likely due to underpitching and/or poor yeast health. Now it's at 1020 I'd say it's not worth pitching more yeast. Presumably you're FG is meant to be around 1012-14?

You just need to be careful about when you bottle. I'd suggest just leaving for another week or so before taking another gravity reading. Then you can test it every few days to make sure the readings are stable before packaging.

Thanks @JonBrew
Would you advise not doing a ramp up in temp at this point then? The recipe says it should finish at 1.010, but that was a starting OG of 1.042. This was 1.053.

Not sure how I missed that OG by some margin though. Strike temp was too high for sure as took 10-15 mins to get to recipe mash temp. Was only a single step. 90min mash too...wonder if this had something to do with it. Should have done something at that point I feel like add just the sparge water...need to get another gravity read into the process. Then at least I have a chance to get more yeast ready if it ends up on the high side.

Thanks @JonBrew
Would you advise not doing a ramp up in temp at this point then? The recipe says it should finish at 1.010, but that was a starting OG of 1.042. This was 1.053.

Not sure how I missed that OG by some margin though. Strike temp was too high for sure as took 10-15 mins to get to recipe mash temp. Was only a single step. 90min mash too...wonder if this had something to do with it. Should have done something at that point I feel like add just the sparge water...need to get another gravity read into the process. Then at least I have a chance to get more yeast ready if it ends up on the high side.

Yeah I'd ramp the temp to the upper limit for that yeast strain or even a degree or two higher. That should help to ensure that the yeast stays active and doesn't drop out before the fermentation is complete.

Just a little update - tested this morning and SG is now at 10.12-13 (in that range you mentioned @JonBrew !)

So since last test 5ish points have been gained over five days.

I am tempted to bottle/keg now as this brew has thrown me a little and I feel like I am pushing my luck! Is it now more a question of "do I want it to be anymore alcoholic?" Its already 1% stronger than the recipe requires and I think its low enough now to not present too much of an issue bottling.

Thoughts anyone?

W

Just a little update - tested this morning and SG is now at 10.12-13 (in that range you mentioned @JonBrew !)

So since last test 5ish points have been gained over five days.

I am tempted to bottle/keg now as this brew has thrown me a little and I feel like I am pushing my luck! Is it now more a question of "do I want it to be anymore alcoholic?" Its already 1% stronger than the recipe requires and I think its low enough now to not present too much of an issue bottling.

Thoughts anyone?

W

I'd personally suggest giving it another 5 days given it's been a somewhat troubled fermentation. It may well be done but equally could have a point or two (or more) to go and bottling now you risk over carbonation or, at worst, exploding bottles. You want to have consecutive stable gravity readings spaced over a few days before you package. Also, the extra time in the FV may benefit the beer by allowing they yeast to clean up after the fermentation and reabsorb some less desirable by-products etc. I get that you don't want the beer finishing at too high an ABV but I'm afraid that's out of your hands now - the yeast is going to decide that for you. No point in rushing to package at this stage.

Latest posts

Back