Swapped out Challenger for Pearle

Discussion in 'Grain, Hops, Yeast & Water' started by keat64, Jan 9, 2019.

Help Support The Homebrew Forum UK by donating:

1. Jan 9, 2019 #1

keat64

keat64

keat64

Regular.

I did an Old Peculiar clone at the weekend, came to pull out my hops from the freezer and found that I was out of Challenger.
    A quick google search revealed that Pearle was a close alternative, which I had a bag of.
    Considering it was for the bittering, I figured it probably wouldn't make much difference anyway, so what the heck.

Lets see what a few weeks time reveals.

2. Jan 9, 2019 #2

Leon103

Leon103

Leon103

Regular.

Brilliant

3. Jan 9, 2019 #3

Dutto

Dutto

Dutto

Dutto

I did the same with a Premium Bitter last February when I discovered that I didn't have sufficient EKG hops.

I substituted the same amount of Perle and then discovered that it had a significantly higher AA than the EKG and it took a few months for the bitterness of the brew to mellow to the superb drink that it is today!

You may find that you need to let your brew mellow for a couple of months if you substituted the same amounts of Challenger with Perle.

4. Jan 10, 2019 #4

cushyno

cushyno

cushyno

Regular. Supporting Member

I had great success using Summit (in smaller amounts) for bittering a brown ale. Used Challenger as the flavour/aroma hop. I love a bit of Challenger, it's a smashing hop.

The flavour/aroma of Summit was undetectable after 60 minute boil, so you should get similar results with Perle.

5. Jan 11, 2019 #5

keat64

keat64

keat64

Regular.

@Dutto "You may find that you need to let your brew mellow for a couple of months if you substituted the same amounts of Challenger with Perle."

I thought for a minute, you said months.
    This time in 3 or 4 weeks, it will have been a distant memory, and dregs.

6. Jan 12, 2019 #6

Dutto

Dutto

Dutto

Dutto

You really do have to get up to "Critical Mass" so that you can let some of your brews age and condition to perfection!

I'm still sampling a SMASH and a Robust Porter that I brewed early last year. The Porter is getting better as time goes by ...

... but the SMASH (with Citra) is slightly past its best, so it's high on my "to drink" list.