Swapzies

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good stuff guys, thanks for the input and Beers! Enjoyed this swapathon. Think it was a winner all round. Definitely didn't feel disappointed, it's nice to have something different to sample and nice to get (relatively) impartial feedback. Every booger that comes round is so effusive about my beer, even ones I know are not so great, that is hard to know what to think..

If you're interested the sour wit thing was a basic wit grist of roughly fifty fifty pilsner and flaked wheat with a dod of Cara pilz or possibly Cara hell.
None of the spices or anything but i did add a couple of lemon peels at the end of the boil. Cooled to 37 then added a half pack of sour pitch and held as at that temp for 18 hrs or so. Boiled up as usual with i think about ten or fifteen IBU of hall mitt. Fermented out and then added about 2k of wild Scottish blaeberry and a half k of wild raspberry (and a few wild strawberry) let that ride a couple weeks then transferred to keg. I believe i did a 4 stage step mash on that.

The funky affair I lost my notes for but it was basically a bruin inspired (good guess Steve) loose interpretation really aiming for something for my own tastes. I did a split batch half of which went dark side and I'm not a hundred percent which was which, but basically it was mashed high to leave me witha lot of sweetness for the bugs to eat and8 I think i also did a turbid mash. Featured a lot of special x malt and caramunich and some chateau crystal 150. Other than that can't recall much. Og around .08 down to 0.03 before bretting with sour cherry funk and some frozen lacto and wild capture dregs. Original yeast was Belgian Saison. Aged about a year in a shed with some wild temperature swings I hoped would tire out the brett before it got too low. Think it worked as it finished about .013 which is my sweet spot.
Can't remember the hop schedule. Think it was a single addition of around ten ibus of something noble.

Sorry for the delay on this but I'm finally trying your other beer now. I don't think it's as bad as you say, though I can definitely taste the harshness that you mentioned. It doesn't taste to me like an infection, at least not one I'm familiar with. It actually reminds me of the harshness often found in IPAs made with sulphate heavy water, with a slight astringent in the finish.

It's certainly not as drinkable as your other beer but I finished it without too much trouble. Thanks again for the swaps and the very interesting beers :hat:

It's definitely an infection, trust me. It's a very weird one though and hellish to eliminate. In fact I think all my gear still has it, even my stainless steel conical. After bleach and caustic soaks and boiling everything. But fortunately it does nothing in the absence of oxygen so in a way it might have helped my beer overall as I'm now super paranoid about O2.
I think it's a film yeast of some kind. It'll produce a pellicle if left to play in air.
I agree the flavour seems to bond with the hoppy bitterness, and also tastes a bit like higher alcohols. It weirdly seems to fade out a bit over time but I know it's still there as I've learned to detect it's specific profile easily. Weird one
Anyway cheers, I'll probably pass it out as Christmas gifts to people I don't like that much... He he

Latest posts

Back