Sweet wine help

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TiddlyWin

Reaction score
Hi all, I normally brew kit beers and soon want to have a go at making some kit wines.

SWMBO loves White Wine, So I'm after a 6 bottle kit that not only tastes good but is sweeter than most.

How can I go about that. What would you guys recommend?

Cheers guys.

The soloman grundy kits by richies are a good kit IMO at around £12, my wife also likes the winebuddy sauv blanc and chardonnay kits at around£8-£10, both these kits have everything you need in them and ferment in 7-10days usually.
As for sweetening you could back sweeten to taste after fermenting out with granulated sweetener or dissolved sugar. Or if you have a hydrometer just stop fermentation around the 1000-1005 mark depending on how sweet she likes it.

Hiya,

I thought it was as easy as just stopping fermentation at a certain point. Guess I will have to experiment with different hydrometer readings

Thanks very much :)

I find it easier to ferment right out and then just prior to bottling i back sweeten with a syrup made of dissolved granulated sugar. I only make 30 bottle kits and find that approx 50 to 75 grams of sugar is about right. Add some stir taste is the general rule for me.

I find it easier to ferment right out and then just prior to bottling i back sweeten with a syrup made of dissolved granulated sugar. I only make 30 bottle kits and find that approx 50 to 75 grams of sugar is about right. Add some stir taste is the general rule for me.

If you are ok with using A S then you could just use that or which I have done accidentally is I sometimes put a bottle of Ribena in one of the cheaper 30 bottle kits but accidentally used the one with A S in it. The wine came out like a light red that was sweet maybe not as much as a proper dessert sweet wine but sweet. You could also use one of the concentrated white clear juices/cordials and do the same don't forget you would need to pro-rata this for a 6 bottle kit.
Not for the purists but it does a job and no risk of secondary ferment
Ps I added the bottle of ribena when making up the wine before ferment

Back