Sweeten Cider After Fermentation

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amnesia180

Reaction score
Hi All,

I know this has been discussed a lot, but I'm struggling to find the best way to move forward.

My cider has fermented (nearly 2 weeks ago it was put into the 23litre fermenter).
I'm ready to rack to demijohns to allow to settle.

However, I want to sweeten as I forgot to add sugar during the fermentation stage.

Can anyone suggest a good non-fermenting sugar available in the UK? Alternatively, if I just add normal sugar, would this still work (just ferment for a second time?).

Appreciate the advice!

Any sugar you add with yeast present will be fermented. This won't add sweetness but will increase abv.

I have sweetened with artificial sweetener before which is non fermentable, but the outcome is not good. It tastes like artificial sweetener.

The best way to back sweeten cider is to kill off the yeast and then sweeten with sugar or fruit. Then keg the cider and force carbonate. I appreciate this is not always possible if you don't want to invest in a kegging system.

You can add extra sugar, ferment in the bottles briefly and then heat pasteurise the bottles to kill the yeast and halt fermentation. This will leave some of the sugar added unfermented and therefore add sweetness. I've never dared to try this though the potential for bottle bombs is far too high. There are videos on YouTube if you fancy this but be very careful.

Or just sweeten to taste when you serve it with a little sugar syrup (easy to make your own, any cocktail making website has the details).

In case this isn't clear, bottle / keg the cider in its dry state, primed with normal sugar if you want it fizzy. Sweeten when pouring into the glass, i.e. add a splash of sugar syrup to the bottom, pour on the dry cider to mix.

Freeze applejuice into cubes, add them to the drink once poured.

I think it stupid that there as today is not yet a cider yeast offing itselves at 6%ABV

Add a tsp of granulated sweetener to your glass and a few ice cubes then pour your cider on top. Works fine, easy too. Or add a bit of cordial before you pour, lime/vimto/forest fruits etc.

Because of reasons I now use the Lidl sweetener, big, 1000 tabs, Coronsomething. Tastes pretty sweet with hardly the usual off-flavours.

I agree, pop a Lidl RED Cologran (a year ago they replaced them with inferior tablets in a yellow case) or Tesco Everyday Value sweetener tablet in the glass when serving. They both contain Sodium Cyclamate and Sodium Saccharin and for me are the best sweeteners - been using them in coffee for years.

I currently have this issue and I am looking for a good way to sweeten my first lot of cider up. I made a small batch using 100% Aldi pure apple juice and cider yeast. After 4 weeks it turned out nice, a bit cloud bit very much a dry cider. I like a bit more sweeter. I tried lime cordial bur it turned out like lime juice not cider. I put a spoon of sugar in before drinking which was the sweetness I wanted but could fltaste the scar too much. Any ideas would be great for the last 9 bottles I have left.

I have a cunning ploy for this issue - as I fear that I also will be experiencing this; I'm a newbie too.

I am lucky enough to be given people's fruit gluts to try my wines etc from. But there's always a "bit more than a DJ worth". So, with, for example my 400g of left over rhubarb I'm going to make rhubarb cordial, then freeze it (the best I can).

I'll then add a 'flavoured' and sweet ice cube to my drink once poured...see what happens....

I have a cunning ploy for this issue - as I fear that I also will be experiencing this; I'm a newbie too.

I am lucky enough to be given people's fruit gluts to try my wines etc from. But there's always a "bit more than a DJ worth". So, with, for example my 400g of left over rhubarb I'm going to make rhubarb cordial, then freeze it (the best I can).

I'll then add a 'flavoured' and sweet ice cube to my drink once poured...see what happens....

I admire experimentation and still try things out despite the many knock-backs!

With regard to "rhubarb syrup" my only advice is "Treble the amount of sugar that you thought would be enough!"

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back