sweetening bottled cider

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

helluvatractor

Reaction score
Hi all, I have a couple demi johns of carton cider fermented down to about 0.990. which I intend bottling.
I would like to add half a tspn sugar to each bottle to give it s bit of fizz. But I would also like to sweeten it a bit cos its a bit dry for me.

How would I go about this ?, I'm thinking if I add more apple juice it will ferment out along with the priming sugar and might be dangerous with too much pressure.

Do I need to use artificial sweetner ?

Yes you will need to use an artificial sweetner or add a little apple juice on serving but that does require you to have apple juice in when you want a pint of cider. :thumb:

As mentioned you can use artificial sweetener. 1-2 tsp per bottle depending on how dry you like it. I find much more than that and you start to taste the sweetener a bit too much. As you say, you can vary the amount added over your bottles to see which is best for you. I like it dry!! However i also always have a sugar syrup made up for cocktails and find that this is handy to add if any guests like it a little sweeter :cheers:

Latest posts

Back