Sweetening Help needed for wedding Elderflower Champagne

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Globalmark

Reaction score
Hi Guys - amazing forum thanks for having me , i have read loads but needed ask question as getting Married soon end of August and running out of time . and made this for our wedding drink.
I have just made my first batch of Elderflower Champagne - 3 weeks ago currently finished fermenting and at hydro .993 i used a elderflower champagne yeast and 3.5kg of honey loads lemons lots elderflower in 25litres - its turned out very nice so far but very dry
i have just drained the fermenter through a sieve and muslin cloth and transfered to other clean bin for clearing ..
just checked with vinometer and approx 9-10% alcohol

question - i am trying to keep this natural as dont like sulfides and such - but i would like to make it sweeter as very dry , but have to keep in mind i will have to add some sugar to the Champagne bottles i have to get the fizz into it as currently not much fizz .
How can i go about making it sweeter but also fizzy to add to the bottles and what order to do it ???
as i have read you normally add cambden tablet stops fermentation etc - this has 2 problems (not natural is it ??? ) and it stops the fermentation so it will prevent the gas in the bottles ..

All help and suggestions appriciated Thanks in advance
Mark

Last edited:
I back sweeten with Erythritol, just add with ur sugar when batch priming, taste great and doesn’t have a laxative affect like other sweeteners, or u could add a drop of elderberry cordial when serving.

Personally, I used a couple of Candrel tablets when I bottled anything that needed sweetening so I suggest that you just follow the above advice!

Guess what! Candrel is the same as @Dazzelknight already said!

“Erythritol is a sugar alternative derived from nature and made from a fermentation process using sugar beet and (GMO-free) corn. It is about 70% as sweet as sugar, but has zero calories.”
:hat:

PS
After three marriages (there will never be a fourth) I wish you well in your own adventure!
athumb..athumb..athumb..

Hi dazzlenight and Dutto - thanks for the info that’s great , I was actually thinking of using Monk fruit but hard to get but I can get monk fruit born which is monk fruit and Erythritol mixed so maybe that is a good option - what do you think ?
and adding best at bottling is the best option rather then batch sweeten ???
I thought might seperate 10 litres make some sweet some dry and maybe last few litres something else ?
Thanks guys for all the help appreciated -

And Dutto - thanks for marriage info 🤣🤣🤣 think one is enough

Ah, the flush of youth! We also thought one each was enough, even though statistics show differently.

This is why we try to reduce marital friction by giving separate presents to the Bride and Groom when they get married!

Enjoy!
Youth - I wish I am 50 this year 🤣 been in a long term relationship before but marriage once is enough to much organising and shopping for weddings don’t want to do it ever again thanks 😂

Youth - I wish I am 50 this year 🤣 been in a long term relationship before but marriage once is enough to much organising and shopping for weddings don’t want to do it ever again thanks 😂
Don’t look here for sympathy!
:D

I was 51 when I got married for the third time; after happily living with SWMBO for 9 years!

There will never be a fourth!

BTW, it all sarted as a joke!

We drove past Gretna Green after going on holiday, so I suggested that we dropped into the village and got married. “Why spoil a great holiday!” was the reply, so I carried on up the M74.

Three months later, newly wed friends asked us at dinner when we intended to get married, so I waxed lyrical about how I had arranged everything for a romantic wedding in Gretna Green and told them of the reply I had received!

They sympathised with me and the subject was dropped!

About a week after the dinner, my phone rang at work and SWMBO said “You must have forged my signature!”

Not realising what she was on about I asked “Why?” and received the reply “I’ve got the Forms in front of me to get married and it needs both signatures.” I realised what she was on about and said “I was joking!”

It took me less than a second to realise that she had hung up on me!

That evening I asked where I should sign. I was taken to a dustbin where many shredded forms resided and was told “It’s up to you now!”

I decided to organise the wedding after a very short period of cold and frosty living!

That’s my excuse, what’s yours?

Latest posts

Back