Swing bottles or caps

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leemi1982

Reaction score
Hi I’m just brewing my first batch beer in screw on plastic bottles just as a starting point as a first time brewer if my beers successful the next batch will be in better glass bottles..

what should I go for caps or swing top, like the thought of swing tops for ease, however after collecting bottles from buying beer from supermarkets I just need the caps and a bench capper this Would mean if I lost any bottles at bbq party’s would not need to worry so much if they get lost or thrown out.. would be annoyed if I lost a swing bottle top bottle

what should I go for caps or swing top, like the thought of swing tops for ease, however after collecting bottles from buying beer from supermarkets I just need the caps and a bench capper this Would mean if I lost any bottles at bbq party’s would not need to worry so much if they get lost or thrown out.. would be annoyed if I lost a swing bottle top bottle

I think you have answered your own question -

Swing tops for ease and your own use.

Caps for everyone else.

i started with recycled newcastle brown ale bottless so did the crown cap route, i also use the crown caps on my champange bottles too. i rolled over to flip tops after landing on a load of reasonably price flip top bottles

I use swing tops primarily. Far easier.
I have a stock of brown homebrew bottles for lending to friends who give the bottles back.
I clean and reuse commercial bottles for giving to people who are far away so they don't have to worry about returning them.

And I reuse a few 500ml soft drinks bottles - I always fill one per batch as it makes it far easier to monitor carbonation by giving the bottle a squeeze. It is also handy for sending off for competitions

I picked up 40 second hand screw cap plastic bottles when I purchased my brewing gear about 4 years ago and they are still going strong.

I always use 5-10 for every bottling session, as its good for checking carbonation. Also convenient for taking out to bbqs etc
Rest of my bottles are Crown caps but would love to stumble on a big set of flip tops to replace them with!

I have built up a good stock of swing tops, well over 100. I have done that because I think they’re cool.

However I would say that crown caps are easier if you are a cleaning enthusiast like me 😒 - because removing the sealing ring, cleaning and replacing takes longer than chucking crown caps in steriliser and crimping them on.

It can go either way--capping or swing-tops.
I do swing-tops because of how much easier it is to bottle (fill with one hand, close with the other).

I do need a good gasket supplier as the previous one switched from soft/flexible to nearly hard plastic.

Latest posts

Back