Switching from bottles to kegs - Advice please

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't get sucked into the "Shiny is Cool" thing, I'm sure the party kegs will work just as well

I bought the necessary adaptors to fill my own Sodastream cylinders from my 6kg CO2 cylinder. Much cheaper in the long run. I got the adaptor from CO2Supermarket.com

Me too. How you getting on with it?

Works well.
Put the Sodastream cylinders in the freezer for a couple of hours prior to filling.
Turn the CO2 cylinder upside down and decant (possibly build a makeshift stand to make this easier).

I’m going to ask if my supplier does CO2 with a dip tube.

I bought the necessary adaptors to fill my own Sodastream cylinders from my 6kg CO2 cylinder. Much cheaper in the long run. I got the adaptor from CO2Supermarket.com

This sounds like something I can work with. Think I will go with a refurb corny with a party line. Wasn't quite what I was looking for but needs must, and all that. I'll start with a sodastream tank, just to see how it goes, and then probably look into this home refill solution.

Thanks for all the help and advice guys. Really appreciate it.

I take it if you re-filled a sodastream thing with an N, CO2 mix something bad would come of it?

I got set up with a reconditioned corny keg, standard regulator (so I can upgrade to pub size CO2 bottle later) with an adaptor for Sodastream bottles, beer line, picnic tap, gas line and disconnects for £129 from Brewkegtap.

If you went for an un reconditioned keg from Home Brew Company you could get it a little cheaper than this I reckon. My last un reconditioned keg from them was £44 posted.

After two fills of the corny, I have decided to go for a 6kg CO2 bottle next week as Sodastream is so much more expensive in the long run.

Out of interest, how much use did you get from the SodaStream tank before it ran out?

Homebrew company has used kegs on offer.

My bottle is 7.2kg. I’m estimating 15 refills so that’s 1 pound a bottle. 9 pound saving over an exchange service.

I use them in my kegarator once the kegs have been forced carbonated on the big bottle.

Out of interest, how much use did you get from the SodaStream tank before it ran out?

That's an interesting question!

So far I have emptied two Sodastream bottles and not managed to fully dispense one keg... That's £40 of CO2!!

However, this is down to my failings and getting used to the sytem. The first tank I overtightened the adaptor and split the rubber sealing ring. The CO2 escaped over night. Once set up I had failed to properly check for leaks.

The second bottle was great for around 4 weeks until I moved the keg around in the garage and knocked the regulator. It unscrewed slightly from the bottle and again all the CO2 escaped over night. I didn't check for leaks after moving it.

Today I ordered a 3kg bottle from Adams Gas at a cost of £17.

In theory, the large Sodastream bottles hold 60L CO2 and should be able to dispense 2.5 ish cornies.

Much depends on your CO2 supplier, I can get it for £9+VAT no deposit but they won't sell to home brewers. As a home brewer I got one for £25 deposit (no VAT) + £10+VAT for the CO2 from a local pub.

Much depends on your CO2 supplier, I can get it for £9+VAT no deposit but they won't sell to home brewers. As a home brewer I got one for £25 deposit (no VAT) + £10+VAT for the CO2 from a local pub.

That's great value. Cheapest I can find in York area is £55 fully refundable deposit on the bottle and £14 +VAT for a 3kg fill. Still I'm happy enough with £17 a fill for 10 to 12 cornies. Will last me a year at least .

That's great value. Cheapest I can find in York area is £55 fully refundable deposit on the bottle and £14 +VAT for a 3kg fill. Still I'm happy enough with £17 a fill for 10 to 12 cornies. Will last me a year at least .

You boys across the water seem to have a lot more options. I have only sourced two options in NI. £70 for a 2kg tank (£20 refills) and £60 for a 6.35kg tank (£20 refills). The latter seems like a much better deal, considering £40 of the initial £60 is a refundable deposit.

Why won't they sell to homebrewers? Is it because it could be ages before you'd need a refill?
  1. I think its mainly because of fear of not getting the cylinder back, I suspect they are higher value than most deposits suggest as they want £120 for lost cylinders though don't take a deposit. They also come in every Wednesday to check if I need any more even though I told them I have enough till around the end of the year, but thats partly because the pub 30 seconds away need some most weeks. Its for 6.35Kg BTW.

Only started brew my own in the last few months and ive already gone to Corney Kegs currently have 6 but that's likely to increase to around 15 or more, having a tap straight of your keg is possible but you have to carbonate at low pressure, my werry is coming of a tap like that with 70/30 bottle and its fine. I also have a king keg top tap and tbh great bit of kit, also do not bother with sodastream bottles.... go straight with an co2 bottle more cost to start with but you will soon gain that back :)

1. I think its mainly because of fear of not getting the cylinder back, I suspect they are higher value than most deposits suggest as they want £120 for lost cylinders though don't take a deposit. They also come in every Wednesday to check if I need any more even though I told them I have enough till around the end of the year, but thats partly because the pub 30 seconds away need some most weeks. Its for 6.35Kg BTW.
I bought my bottle for £60 brand new and I own it, refil is £12 bottle I bought is 10 liter
bottle.jpg

Latest posts

Back