Switching from dry yeast to liquid yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I quite like Belgian Blonde ale but have never brewed one because I understand that this style requires liquid yeast to contribute to flavour. Is that correct or could I use dry yeast for this style?
I’ve recently bought the dry Lallemand Belgian yeast to see what it’s like, but I’ve been disappointed with all the other Belgian yeasts I’ve tried so not holding out much hope. Bizarrely I’ve found that my paler Belgian style beers have been more forgiving than my attempt at a Dubbel when using the dry yeasts.

Belle Saison is such an absolute beast that it has given me no desire to try a liquid saison yeast.

You might want a look at this - saisons are so dependent on yeast for their character, it's worth taking your time to get something more interesting than Belle :

https://www.maltosefalcons.com/blogs/brewing-techniques-tips/a-guide-to-saisons-and-saison-yeasts
I quite like Belgian Blonde ale but have never brewed one because I understand that this style requires liquid yeast to contribute to flavour. Is that correct or could I use dry yeast for this style?

You could try WB-06, which contrary to the marketing is not a wheat beer yeast but closely related to strains alleged to come from Duvel. But I wouldn't use it for anything other than something along the lines of Duvel.

I have only used S04 and all were just o.k.

I think this is a good reason to explore liquid, the variety and I have to say IMO you will get better results

as for the Saison, I have used Belle many times and it is a good dry yeast, however my BEST Saison was using a liquid

Is that a version or cousin strain from London Ale III?

If I recall correctly they used London Ale III as a house strain. After a few pitches it genetically shifted. This is an isolate done by Lallemand which now offer it as dry yeast. I've never had them side-by-side but Verdant is supposed to be a fruitier version of London Ale III.

In any case the yeast is worth a try, especially when making hazy IPAs. As moto748 mentions it also works great in most British styles like Bitter.

I like using liquid yeast - it feels more 'alive' than sprinkling on a dry powder; and I convince myself it's worth paying a bit more to get something 'right' for the style I'm brewing.
I've found no appreciable difference with vs. without a starter so I really don't think it's worth bothering with that step (#flameshield_on)

Try Verdant dry yeast in a bitter sometime, David. I had good results with it, and it seems other posters have too.
Thanks. I'll give that a try with my next bitter. My next brew will be the English IPA from Greg Hughes's book. For dry yeast in this recipe he recommends US05. I notice that the Verdant is also recommended for English IPA. I'm wondering if I should give it a try in my next brew. What do you think? Although Greg Hughes is dependable.

Thanks. I'll give that a try with my next bitter. My next brew will be the English IPA from Greg Hughes's book. For dry yeast in this recipe he recommends US05. I notice that the Verdant is also recommended for English IPA. I'm wondering if I should give it a try in my next brew. What do you think? Although Greg Hughes is dependable.
In the new edition of his 'Home Brew Beer', Greg Hughes recommends Wyeast 1187 Ringwood Ale for the English IPA - I'd thoroughly endorse that; the ringwood gives it really good flavour.

IMG_6344.jpeg

In the new edition of his 'Home Brew Beer', Greg Hughes recommends Wyeast 1187 Ringwood Ale for the English IPA - I'd thoroughly endorse that; the ringwood gives it really good flavour.

View attachment 56419
He recommends the same yeast in my older edition and in his yeast at glance suggests US05 as the dry yeast alternative. Is it the same in the new edition?

If I recall correctly they used London Ale III as a house strain. After a few pitches it genetically shifted. This is an isolate done by Lallemand which now offer it as dry yeast. I've never had them side-by-side but Verdant is supposed to be a fruitier version of London Ale III.

In any case the yeast is worth a try, especially when making hazy IPAs. As moto748 mentions it also works great in most British styles like Bitter.

Thanks.. sounds right up my alley.. I love London Ale III

He recommends the same yeast in my older edition and in his yeast at glance suggests US05 as the dry yeast alternative. Is it the same in the new edition?
Recipe itself mentions only the Ringwood; but as you say, the 'yeasts at a glance' table also suggests WLP-005 or Fermentis US05 for dried athumb..
TBH I'd never even noticed that table before you mentioned it!

I’ve recently bought the dry Lallemand Belgian yeast to see what it’s like, but I’ve been disappointed with all the other Belgian yeasts I’ve tried so not holding out much hope. Bizarrely I’ve found that my paler Belgian style beers have been more forgiving than my attempt at a Dubbel when using the dry yeasts.
Please let me know how the dry Lallemand Belgian yeast turns out in your brew.

Wet yeast is only more expensive if you only use once. There are several ways to get several batches from one pack of wet yeast. I try to brew every other week and currently have 3 strains in the fridge. Have not bought any new yeast for over 2 years.

Wet yeast is only more expensive if you only use once. There are several ways to get several batches from one pack of wet yeast. I try to brew every other week and currently have 3 strains in the fridge. Have not bought any new yeast for over 2 years.
How many generations do you let your strains run to?

Back