Swopping Dextrose for Spray Malt in a kit

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thrums1

Reaction score
I am brewing a Festival Worl Beer kit and it comes with dextrose, can I use Spray Malt instead and if so, what will this do to the flavour (Steam Beer)?

Premium kits usually come with everything you need and appropriate to the style.
The dextrose might be there to introduce a little dryness to the finished product, which will be reduced if you use spray malt instead, although the cynical view could be that it's there to bump up the ABV as an alternative to malt extract to keep the costs down
But if you have not made up this kit before why not just make it up as it comes this time round, then make your own mind up for any changes next time, should you choose to do it again.

Agree with Terry. Try it as instructions , then dabble if need be. Have not tried the steam beer , what should the profile be for one of these ?

I think I will just go with the kit right now.

I am new to this so I am not sure what spray malt does.

Festival say:

This lovely beer has a light cooper with a white fluffy head which has a rounded toffee note with a herbal hop character which tastes of toffee and caramel with a light earthy character finished with a firm bitterness

I think I will just go with the kit right now.

I am new to this so I am not sure what spray malt does.

Festival say:

This lovely beer has a light cooper with a white fluffy head which has a rounded toffee note with a herbal hop character which tastes of toffee and caramel with a light earthy character finished with a firm bitterness
Spray malt is also known as Dry Malt Extract (DME) and is basically the same as Liquid Malt Extract (LME) but without water. Most of malt extract is fermentable and is what gives beer its malty taste (if made whole or in part with it) and perhaps a little sweetness due to the unfermentable part. Malt extract sold for brewing comes in range of colours from Extra Light to Extra Dark, and the darker it gets the more flavour as well as colour it introduces. If you use dextrose it will wholly ferment into alcohol and CO2 which just introduces dryness to the finished beer. However some beers need this dryness in their profile.

Latest posts

Back