Syphon tube mould

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ashman

Reaction score
I brew in the garage. I’ve noticed my syphon line tubing from last cleanup has signs of mould. I think my best bet is to bin it and replace for bottling. However, what’s the best way to store the tubing? I know I sterilised the tube as part of cleanup but almost certainly chucked it back wet into the garage (a late brew day finish). Maybe I should keep the item indoors?

Yes to binning it. They’re cheap as chips so replacing it is the best way.

In my shed I fitted a specific hook for my tubes so that they hang completely vertical until they are dry. Any kink or fold is liable to keep liquid in it and get mouldy.

I too noticed black mould inside some plastic tubing and binned it.

However, since that time I have always rinsed out the tubing with lots of cold water from the tap, filled the inside of the tubing with Star-San mixture, "rolled" the tubing over and over to ensure that the Star-San mixture contacted all the interior surfaces, hung it over a beam to drip-dry for a couple of days and then coiled it up in a "tube tidy" similar to the one shown in the photograph.

Tube tidy 2.jpg

So far, I've never had anything go mouldy since using this method; but I always rinse and sanitise before use anyway!

If you're in a pinch you can do what I did. Tie some cotton to a needle and use a magnet to pull it through the pipe, then use that to pull through a string that has a small bit of cloth or sponge tied in the middle and then you can effectively floss the inside of the pipe. If you get it right the sponge makes a crazy sound like a frog.

I store mine permanently in starsan in a big storage crate. If you don't have the space for one of them, try a baby bath.

Latest posts

Back