Syphon

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ewanGraham

Reaction score
So I bought a telescope syphon and it was a real problem so I will ordered myself a auto syphon from what I’ve seen they work better.
However due to this not working I just poured my cider out the Demi John? Have I messed up doing this will something go wrong with the cider as all I see is use a syphon everywhere I look.
I have the cider a taste however it wasn’t the nicest(I did back sweeten) I have left it to carb right now, but due to pouring it into a measuring jug to then pour it into the bottles will this have ruined my brew ?(the cider has came out at 8/9% oops I realise this will also effect the taste)

pouring it into a measuring jug to then pour it into the bottles will this have ruined my brew ?(the cider has came out at 8/9% oops I realise this will also effect the taste)

Pouring it oxygenates it which isn't good as it can spoil the cider when bottled but you'll probably get away with it,.

Could i ask what you are doing when you syphon that is not working, if you are having problems keeping it in place get a bucket clip -

Turbo cider guide - How to make Turbo Cider.

1589119716795.png
1589119672561.png
1589119692056.png

If it's sucking air you need to adjust the seal on the inside tube....it's the flared,usually black,plastic "skirt" bit on the end. Gently disassemble the Syphon then carefully,using your thumb re-flare the plastic seal. This will make it sit tighter inside the main tube of the Syphon. You may have to wet it a bit to reassemble.

It would begin to take the cider out my 5ltr Demi then just stop after 50ml in the bottle.
Also what does oxygen do to my cider ?

il just buy an auto syphon for future use.

Pouring it oxygenates it which isn't good as it can spoil the cider when bottled but you'll probably get away with it,.

Could i ask what you are doing when you syphon that is not working, if you are having problems keeping it in place get a bucket clip -

Turbo cider guide - How to make Turbo Cider.

View attachment 25718View attachment 25716View attachment 25717
I would fill it with water then put it in the Demi, unclip the block so it would start to drain it would suck the cider then just stop

I don't know what a telescope syphon is so i cannot really advise.

This is from a wine article but i assume it goes for cider as well.

Too much oxygen can lead to oxidation, the degradation of wine due to an abundance of oxygen. This can happen during the actual winemaking process or even after the wine has been bottled. Basically, all oxygen needs is a simple catalyst for the reaction to occur. Anthocyanins and phenols, two components of wine, are very susceptible to oxidation. When oxidation takes place, the wine’s pigmentation will decrease and loss of aromas and flavors will occur. Think of an apple that’s been sliced and left out too long; the abundance of oxygen causes the flesh to brown, the aromas to dissipate and the flavors to disappear. Same thing goes for oxidation in wine.
https://vinepair.com/articles/what-is-oxidation-in-wine/

I would fill it with water then put it in the Demi, unclip the block so it would start to drain it would suck the cider then just stop

I set the whole thing up using the bucket clip then suck the end of the tube to get it started, as long as you have the DJ above the end of the tube it should carry on flowing unless you have an air leak somewhere.

Back