Syphoning With Lots of Hop Debris

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use this helix to filter the boiled wort hop pellets thrown directly into the boil.
001.JPG
Final runnings from the kettle
003.JPG

Finally I've listened to all the advice given and transferred my Young's AIPA into the bottling bucket last night with no dramas :D

Cold crashed for 24 hrs during which I gave it a few taps to encourage the hop debris off the top of the beer, fridge got it down to about 1°C and I could see a nicely compacted layer of hop material on the bottom. Siphoned out using one of these (eBay siphon filter):

s-l300.jpg

No clogging, all of the beer into the bottling bucket, result!

Only annoyance was discovering one of the bottles I'd used had a damaged neck when I came to cap it so not wanting to risk drinking broken glass I chucked it. I hate throwing away any beer :(

Many years of brewing but still learning... :tinhat:

Only annoyance was discovering one of the bottles I'd used had a damaged neck when I came to cap it so not wanting to risk drinking broken glass I chucked it. I hate throwing away any beer :(
I have on occasion broken the lip of a bottle when popping the cap off. Rather than throw away the contents I've filtered it through a coffee filter. Not died yet...

I have on occasion broken the lip of a bottle when popping the cap off. Rather than throw away the contents I've filtered it through a coffee filter. Not died yet...
I read you could do that whilst Googling in desperation to save it :laugh8: Only problem being it was late, I had no clue if we had any coffee filters anywhere, and I wanted to go to bed. In retrospect I should have lobbed it in another bottle anyway, marked it and dealt with it later. :doh:

Latest posts

Back