T.V comedies you never got into.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fair enough as this thread proves we don't all like/dislike the same things, you said Only fools and horses (only loved by southerners) i posted to point out that is not the case i dont know anyone that didnt find it funny and we all live in the north.
I remember talking to a friend in a local pub, (a native midlander) who said that he loved Only fools & horses, but his father had tried to discourage him from watching it, as it was a 'Southern thing'. These prejudices do still exist out there.

tried to discourage him from watching it, as it was a 'Southern thing'. These prejudices do still exist out there.

The old North/South divide, I remember years ago they were referred to as soft shandy drinking southern bastards its been a long time since i have heard that term and having seen what they drink here i think the term couldn't have been more wrong. :laugh8:

Only Fools and Horses.
People (including Northerners) tell me it was superb so I bought the full boxed set about two years ago.
Still haven’t watched it though 😁

I always find the anti-American bias regarding comedy interesting. There are plenty of horrendous British sitcoms (Mrs Brown's Boys, Miranda, Not Going Out, Last of the Summer Wine, My Hero to name several) and plenty of wonderful and clever US sitcoms (Curb, Archer, Malcolm in the Middle, early Simpsons, Rick & Morty, Bojack to name several). We like to think we have a more sophisticated notion of comedy but it just ain't true.

+1 for Miranda as the biggest recent offender.

After telling my kids how 'brilliant' the Fast Show was, we all sat stoney faced through most of it.

Still love Swiss Tony tho...and Dave Angel
ha ha

Pretty much everything that has first aired on BBC3 - what absolute shyte that is!
Schitt's Creek - the clue is in the name.
The American Office - here's a novel idea, come up with something original.
The American Shameless - see above.
The InBetweeners - seen a couple of episodes. Didn't dislike it, just wasn't impressed enough to watch more.
Friday Night Dinner - see above.
Mrs Brown's Boys - an Irish bloke wearing a frock doth not make a comedy character. Absolute SHYTE!

I always find the anti-American bias regarding comedy interesting. There are plenty of horrendous British sitcoms (Mrs Brown's Boys, Miranda, Not Going Out, Last of the Summer Wine, My Hero to name several) and plenty of wonderful and clever US sitcoms (Curb, Archer, Malcolm in the Middle, early Simpsons, Rick & Morty, Bojack to name several). We like to think we have a more sophisticated notion of comedy but it just ain't true.

I agree and Cheers was brilliant.

Mrs Brown's Boys - an Irish bloke wearing a frock doth not make a comedy character. Absolute SHYTE!

The irony of this line is you not only did speak the truth but managed to do it whilst incorporating one of "her" catchphrases.. I found every episode the same with everything SHYTE or FECKING SHYTE. HI MAMMIE!!

I can honestly say though I neevr realised there was a north south divide on Only fools and Horses.. Always loves it when I was younger.

America has made a lot more cringey **** comedies because they've made a lot more comedies lol.
The bad ones are really bad,

Miranda is terrible. I can sit and watch last of the summer wine but not overawed. I'm finding it hard to list ones I don't like as i tend not to watch them after one or two sittings and forget them.

Never liked yes minister yet it seemed popular although not my age group, couldn't stand Hugh and Laurie.

I liked Malcolm in the middle, the Simpsons, also married with children, never heard of curb, archer or bojack.
I'll look out for them 👍

Back