T.V comedies you never got into.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A bit of a spin off from the favourite comedies thread, name ones you never got into and were in a huge minority.

The office.

Bottom. (the young Ones was a favourite of mine)

Birds of a feather.

Last of the summer wine.
Mrs Brown Boys
Vicar of Dibley
Father Ted
Cannon and Ball
French and Saunders
John Bishop
Michael McIntyre
Miranda
Anything with Lee Mack in it.

Mrs Browns Boys
Miranda
This Country (I think that’s what it’s called, with the woman who always wears a Swindon football top. People were raving about it and I watched a couple of episodes and don’t think I laughed once)

You can tell the average age of the poster on the Homebrew forums by the number of people answering this thread with “The Inbetweeners”. For those of us in our 30s it captures our school days almost perfectly!

I always find the anti-American bias regarding comedy interesting. There are plenty of horrendous British sitcoms (Mrs Brown's Boys, Miranda, Not Going Out, Last of the Summer Wine, My Hero to name several) and plenty of wonderful and clever US sitcoms (Curb, Archer, Malcolm in the Middle, early Simpsons, Rick & Morty, Bojack to name several). We like to think we have a more sophisticated notion of comedy but it just ain't true.
Agreed, although I liked Not Going Out for the first couple of series in a “so bad it’s hilarious” kind of way - it did go to **** when Tim left though.

Actually, that would probably make a good 3rd thread - comedies that were great but then went rubbish. Not Going Out, Benidorm (1st series was fantastic IMO and after that it declined in quality by the minute and became unwatchable by the end of series 3), The Simpsons (had a clear “jumped the shark” moment when Bart became emancipated and lived in an apartment below Tony Hawk who was having a party with Blink 182).

@strange-steve
I take it you mean "curb your enthusiasm" ?
That show passed me by but funny enough I stumbled on it a few weeks ago and did plan on watching it ;)

I liked Malcolm in the middle, the Simpsons, also married with children, never heard of curb, archer or bojack.
I'll look out for them 👍
Archer is brilliant for the first 6 seasons but goes a bit downhill from there unfortunately, Bojack Horseman is a spectacularly well written show but calling it a sitcom is maybe a stretch because it can be heartbreakingly depressing as well as hilariously funny.
I take it you mean "curb your enthusiasm" ?
That show passed me by but funny enough I stumbled on it a few weeks ago and did plan on watching it ;)
Yep, the first season isn't the best but it gets brilliant, especially if you like Seinfeld.

Mrs Browns Boys
Miranda
This Country (I think that’s what it’s called, with the woman who always wears a Swindon football top. People were raving about it and I watched a couple of episodes and don’t think I laughed once)

You can tell the average age of the poster on the Homebrew forums by the number of people answering this thread with “The Inbetweeners”. For those of us in our 30s it captures our school days almost perfectly!

My kids are in their 20's and loved the Inbetweeners.
I thought at first "whats this ****" but found it hilarious.

Agreed, although I liked Not Going Out for the first couple of series in a “so bad it’s hilarious” kind of way - it did go to **** when Tim left though.
I actually really like Lee Mack and think he's very funny on WILTY, so I was shocked at how bad NGO is. It's like the horrible fake sitcom from Extras.

I always find the anti-American bias regarding comedy interesting. There are plenty of horrendous British sitcoms (Mrs Brown's Boys, Miranda, Not Going Out, Last of the Summer Wine, My Hero to name several) and plenty of wonderful and clever US sitcoms (Curb, Archer, Malcolm in the Middle, early Simpsons, Rick & Morty, Bojack to name several). We like to think we have a more sophisticated notion of comedy but it just ain't true.
Still don't know how on earth miranda go the go ahead, barely made it past the trailer that was shown before Have I got news for you...

Archer is brilliant for the first 6 seasons but goes a bit downhill from there unfortunately, Bojack Horseman is a spectacularly well written show but calling it a sitcom is maybe a stretch because it can be heartbreakingly depressing as well as hilariously funny.

Bojack Horseman would have won soooooo many awards if it wasn't a cartoon (and actually had real people in it). Also, if you don't like "Absolutely Fabulous" then I would give it a miss as they have a similar setting.

Here, if you really want to watch absolute dog sh!t, check out The Emily Atack Show. Quite how this got the nod of approval is beyond me. Well, I say that but I think we all know the real reason.

Latest posts

Back