Table sugar equivalent of Coopers carb drops

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg B

Reaction score
Hello all

I can't seem to find a straight answer to this one so thought I'd come and ask the experts. 🙂

For my first ever brew I used a Coopers Canadian Blonde kit and primed with Coopers carb drops. I used a mixture of 1.5 drops and 2 drops per 500ml flip top bottle. I much preferred the fizz from the 2 drops.

Now onto my second brew and I'm going to try bulk priming using bog standard white granulated beet sugar. The question is, how much do I use?

If a 250g bag of drops contains 60 drops then each drop is 4.3g. So 2 drops is 8.6g.

I'll prime 20 litres ready for 40 500ml bottles, so I calculate 8.6g x 40 to be 344g.

Now, if I use a priming sugar calculator or other suggestions on forums and in books, the suggestion is more towards 150g-200g.

What am I missing here?

a teaspoon in a 500ml bottle or 90g in a PB works for me. Don't the kit instructions specify the amount of sugar if you are not using their expensive magic drops?

344g of sugar would get you over 5 volumes of co2. That's insane and with standard beer bottles bordering on dangerous as champagne has 6 volumes and look at the bottles they use for that.

Go for 140g as that's still 2.6 volumes which is high for a beer.

The Blond kit is a sort of lagery type beer. So I suggest you should carb to go for 2.2-2.7 vols according to the BF calculator, which is between 125 and 170 g of table sugar for 23 litres. If you like fizzy beer and serve cold go to the top end of the range.

344g of sugar would get you over 5 volumes of co2. That's insane and with standard beer bottles bordering on dangerous as champagne has 6 volumes and look at the bottles they use for that.

Go for 140g as that's still 2.6 volumes which is high for a beer.

Thanks.

So what is wrong with my theory as I had no issues with 2 drops in a 500ml bottle. Is it that the drops are not sucrose and in fact a glucose/sucrose mix?

The Blond kit is a sort of lagery type beer. So I suggest you should carb to go for 2.2-2.7 vols according to the BF calculator, which is between 125 and 170 g of table sugar for 23 litres. If you like fizzy beer and serve cold go to the top end of the range.

Thanks for the advice đź‘Ť

Back