Tall Fridge Kegerator

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ghillie

Landlord.
Reaction score
Have been on the hunt for a tall fridge that will hold four kegs for a while now, and it is proving surprisingly difficult...

A little bit of background, I don't want to build a keezer unless I absolutely have to. My reasons for this:

1. Keezer will have a larger footprint in my garage and I'm limited for space as it is.
2. Cleaning and moisture/damp will be a PITA. My current kegerator has not been an issue and I like that.
3. No need for another temperature controller (although this isn't a deal breaker).

A tall fridge would be ideal because it will fit in the space of my current kegerator. If I can find one where I can have two kegs side by side at the bottom and two kegs side by side at the top, then I'd be delighted. Being able to remove any keg without disturbing the other three is paramount as I'm a stickler for clear beer.

Has anyone got a tall kegerator that fits my requirements. If so, could you kindly share make and model numbers? I have four corny's which are the newer style at 9" in diameter, so finding a fridge wide enough is the biggest problem.

I will build a 4 keg keezer if I absolutely have to, but it will mean having to reorganise the entire garage and move another fermenting chamber to the shed which is virtually at capacity with all the other ***** in there.

Cheers!

**** it, I just bought a chest freezer for £20. Will move the 3rd fermentation chamber to the shed and re-arrange the garage to suit:laugh8:

51100949_10205173403532030_5774822325358690304_n.jpg

I was just going to say, could you not buy a small fridge and stack it on top of the other but too late lol

(unless you have a chest freezer as your 1st kegerator)

That took 55 mins for you to convince yourself that keezer are bad for you... And then do full circle!

I'm impressed... Plus you also managed to acquire said freezer!?
I know, I realised when I finished writing the post I should just build a keezer...:laugh8:

I had already acquired all the parts for the build, irrespective of whether it would be a keezer or kegerator. So it's just £20 down the drain + materials for a collar if I hate it that much (unlikely).

I was just going to say, could you not buy a small fridge and stack it on top of the other but too late lol

(unless you have a chest freezer as your 1st kegerator)
This did run through my mind, but even finding an under-counter fridge that allows for two cornies side by side is a push.

Keezer build, yeehaa!

Good move, i have been outside measuring mine and you would not 4 of the new ones in. mine are 50 and 52 cm square. Your kegs size being the problem at 27cm compared to the old ones at 20cm. Best of luck with the build.
Thanks @BeerCat!

Mental regarding the 7cm difference! Are the new kegs really 270mm in diameter? I had ~230mm in my mind somehow, although I've not measured mine (keg) personally...

Thanks @BeerCat!

Mental regarding the 7cm difference! Are the new kegs really 270mm in diameter? I had ~230mm in my mind somehow, although I've not measured mine (keg) personally...

No its my fault, forgot what an inch was. Durr. aheadbutt They would fit in a fridge but i think you made a good choice as it is undeniably easier to change and you can fit secondary regulators inside.

No its my fault, forgot what an inch was. Durr. aheadbutt They would fit in a fridge but i think you made a good choice as it is undeniably easier to change and you can fit secondary regulators inside.
Yeah I think i have made the right choice actually.

Debating a secondary regulator... The simplicity of a 4/5 way manifold appeals to me. I also like all my beers fizzy, and tend to do a ballpark 2.6-2.8vols for everything. I'm not a traditional ale kinda guy.

Would I be sensible in getting a 4/5 way manifold to start; and if at a later date I feel the need for control of individual kegs at different pressures; flog the manifold and buy secondary regulators?

Debating a secondary regulator... The simplicity of a 4/5 way manifold appeals to me. I also like all my beers fizzy, and tend to do a ballpark 2.6-2.8vols for everything. I'm not a traditional ale kinda guy.

Would I be sensible in getting a 4/5 way manifold to start; and if at a later date I feel the need for control of individual kegs at different pressures; flog the manifold and buy secondary regulators?

I cant advise on secondary regulators as i don't have one at the moment. I did buy a 4 way manifold but it leaked like mad and i never got round to using it. Seemed a bit poorly made, also took up too much room in my fridge. I use these 3/8" taps now one each keg and splitters. They feel really sturdy and its quick to turn them off when force carbing. As for lower carbed beers i force carbed at a lower psi and give them a bit of gas every now and then. Its easy just to let less pressure through with one of these as well.

New AEB kegs are 210 diameter, most (although not all) used kegs are 230mm diameter, the newer kegs (or tall old ones with the slimmer profile) means 4 should fit in most fridges on one level without hacking the shelf supports..

New AEB kegs are 210 diameter, most (although not all) used kegs are 230mm diameter, the newer kegs (or tall old ones with the slimmer profile) means 4 should fit in most fridges on one level without hacking the shelf supports..
I have four used reconditioned kegs - so they're be 230mm (9") hence the issue.

Sadly it would be about £360 to replace them for new plus potential resale losses on my current cornies.

Definitely cheaper with the £20 freezer, although a tall fridge would have been preferable.

Back