Tangy flavour in my beer - what could the cause be?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeadlyFeet

Reaction score
Hi All

So the last 2 brews I did came out with a really tangy flavour. It was very clean, sharp flavour, almost very lemony and citrus peel like flavour. I am wondering if its maybe the hop combination, but i have tasted beers with similar hop flavours and its not anything like the flavours I am getting. Has anyone else had something similar? It is really hard to describe the tatse, there is a bitter end, and almost a tangy, medical flavour in the body. The citrus is expected but its almost like eating the peel of the fruit and not the flesh of the fruit.

Latest recipe is:

Grains - 60 minute mash
Golden Promise (pale 2-row) - 1.8kg
Flaked Wheat - 300g
Flaked Oats - 200g
Rye Malt - 200g
Corn Sugar - 600g

Water Profile:
CA - 99.7, Mg - 5, Na - 36.66, SO4 - 54.05, Cl - 51.70, HCO3 - 227.25, Alkalinity - 186, Hardness - 74
Addedd - Epsom Salts - 4.5g, Gypsum - 5g

Hops
Citra - 6g for 45 mins
Simcoe - 6g for 45 mins
Citra - 7g for 5 mins
Simcoe - 7g for 5 mins
Citra - 5g for 20 mins Whirlpool (75 degrees C)
Simcoe - 5g for 20 mins Whirlpool (75 degrees C)
Vic secret - 5g 20 mins Whirlpool (75 degrees C)

Citra - 6g Dry hop for 5 days
Simcoe - 6g Dry hop for 5 days
Vic secret - 10g Dry hop for 5 days

Yeast
Safale US-05

Thanks All

The water police will be on this soon and clarify if there is anything wrong from that side.
Have you used any acid malt or Lactic acid? apart from that could be a minor lactobillus infection

From your description it does sound like a lactate flavour, it always tastes lemony to me. Give all your equipment a really good clean and sanitising before your next batch.

Ok. Thank you. Will give it a good clean. Did a brew today so will see if it has the same taste.

Hi All

So the last 2 brews I did came out with a really tangy flavour. It was very clean, sharp flavour, almost very lemony and citrus peel like flavour. I am wondering if its maybe the hop combination, but i have tasted beers with similar hop flavours and its not anything like the flavours I am getting. Has anyone else had something similar? It is really hard to describe the tatse, there is a bitter end, and almost a tangy, medical flavour in the body. The citrus is expected but its almost like eating the peel of the fruit and not the flesh of the fruit.

Latest recipe is:

Grains - 60 minute mash
Golden Promise (pale 2-row) - 1.8kg
Flaked Wheat - 300g
Flaked Oats - 200g
Rye Malt - 200g
Corn Sugar - 600g

Water Profile:
CA - 99.7, Mg - 5, Na - 36.66, SO4 - 54.05, Cl - 51.70, HCO3 - 227.25, Alkalinity - 186, Hardness - 74
Addedd - Epsom Salts - 4.5g, Gypsum - 5g

Hops
Citra - 6g for 45 mins
Simcoe - 6g for 45 mins
Citra - 7g for 5 mins
Simcoe - 7g for 5 mins
Citra - 5g for 20 mins Whirlpool (75 degrees C)
Simcoe - 5g for 20 mins Whirlpool (75 degrees C)
Vic secret - 5g 20 mins Whirlpool (75 degrees C)

Citra - 6g Dry hop for 5 days
Simcoe - 6g Dry hop for 5 days
Vic secret - 10g Dry hop for 5 days

Yeast
Safale US-05

Thanks All
That could be your problem right there, there should be no need to add Epsom salts to the water.

That could be your problem right there, there should be no need to add Epsom salts to the water.
I agree that there's probably no need,
4.5g of Epsom salt adds about 0.4g of magnesium which in 30L of water is only about 13ppm but this looks like a small batch. @DeadlyFeet what was the water volume treated? I suspect if this is a small batch you've added a ton of sulphate between the gypsum and Epsom salt.

In my opinion, Citra hops can get nasty tasting if boiled for more than about 10-15 minutes. Certainly not more than 20 minutes max boil time for Citra.

I agree to leave out the Magnesium.

I agree that there's probably no need,
4.5g of Epsom salt adds about 0.4g of magnesium which in 30L of water is only about 13ppm but this looks like a small batch. @DeadlyFeet what was the water volume treated? I suspect if this is a small batch you've added a ton of sulphate between the gypsum and Epsom salt.

So mash volume was 8 litres and sparge volume was 9 litres. It was a 3 gallon batch.I was using beersmith to get a hoppy water profile. I am glad i didnt do any water additions to my new batch brewed yesterday.

@Argentum - Thanks for the advice on Citra, will deffo start using other hops earlier in the brew.

Latest posts

Back