Tank Hole Cutting and Connector Advice

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ste_Mulv

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Can you help me with the best way to cust holes in my SS boiling pots select and connect taps? I am not 100% on the best/correct way to do it, especially making it beer tight afterwards!

Thanks in advace!

you could go q max cutters or starrett hole cutters. typical tap size is 1/2" bsp for which you'd need a 21mm hole. you could make washers from silicone sheet. for heating elements the hole sizes vary depending on the element.

you could go q max cutters or starrett hole cutters. typical tap size is 1/2" bsp for which you'd need a 21mm hole. you could make washers from silicone sheet. for heating elements the hole sizes vary depending on the element.

Q Max cutters worked for me - even through a keg. Fibre washer on the outside (nothing on the inside) works a treat.

3/8" tap - 16.5mm cutter.

+1 for Qmax punches at £10+ each tho they aint cheap, so borrowing from a local brewbuilder is the best option.. if local to ox4 your welcome to pop round and use my 20mm(1/2" bsp) 32mm (1.25") and 38.5mm (kettle element size) punches

the hardest bit of the job is breaking the pot skin, enlarging an existing hole upto 10-12mm is easy with standard hss drill bits pulsed on n off in a standard lecky drill.

to break the pot skin i suggest a big hammer and a sharp point, tho do brace the pot inside behind where u hit to avoid a ding ;) i use an old jewlers screwdriver ..

it is possible to work harden Stainless steel if u drill through to fast without cooling.. tho if u pulse a drill with a standard Hss drill bit and squirt with wd40 to cool its doable but a punch thru is way easier ;)

upto 20mm stepper drill bits will work but will need cooling, when the hole enlarges will need the pot secured/ clamped down as the steps when they catch will have a kick and will pull a hand held pot from the grip easily.

What kind of connector do you want to do? Use a step bit with a weld-less fittings (threaded with locking nut and silicone q rings) but recently stumbled across silver soldering , my parts should be here this week to convert my boil kettle and hot liquor tank over to this. You can use to attach SS / Copper / Brass with a specific flux and silver solder.

0015.jpg

Latest posts

Back