Tannin levels

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wynott

Regular.
Reaction score
I notice that some country wine recipes rarely mention tannin. Does anyone know of a handy guide as to tannin levels in fruits etc? I am making some clove and ginger, and assuming that a couple of teabags would be an appropriate level for a gallon. I prefer these to tannin powder, which somehow I always make a mess of.

I notice that some country wine recipes rarely mention tannin. Does anyone know of a handy guide as to tannin levels in fruits etc? I am making some clove and ginger, and assuming that a couple of teabags would be an appropriate level for a gallon. I prefer these to tannin powder, which somehow I always make a mess of.
a three teabag mug does it for me for a gallon. left to cool to pitching temperature.

Powdwered tannin can be a right pain to use i only used it once then went back to a mug of strong black tea per DJ with 2 bags in the mug.

Powdwered tannin can be a right pain to use i only used it once then went back to a mug of strong black tea per DJ with 2 bags in the mug.
What size of DJ? They come in 5, 10, 20, 30, 50 l? I have now a 10 l one filled with 9-10 l of fermenting cider. Taste wise I do need tannins.

What size of DJ? They come in 5, 10, 20, 30, 50 l? I have now a 10 l one filled with 9-10 l of fermenting cider. Taste wise I do need tannins.
I think most vessels referred to as demi-johns in the UK are an imperial gallon. You can't quite get 5 litres into it. Mind you, mine are pretty old and the new ones might be a bit bigger.

Latest posts

Back