Tap or Siphon ?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hgbrown44

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm in the middle of my first brew ( beer kit ) and am just about to transfer the brew from the FV to a pressure keg. The FV has a bottom tap so is it preferable to transfer via the tap or use a siphon? I thought it would be easier to use the tap but does it stir up the yeast layer on the bottom too much? Your comments are appreciated,thanks. H.

A siphon is better; you can tilt the FV at the end but watch carefully that no trub is sucked up. As muck approaches the siphon just lift it out! The siphon will lose suction anyway at about half-an-inch.

I tend to use the tap, but run it through a muslin square in a funnel, as it’s not unusual to get a fair bit of trub in the first and last litre, this is as I learnt to my cost quote problematic if you are bottling.

I do both. On any particular occasion it depends on mood. Also if I have used the tap to take samples for gravity readings and it's a bit dirty, I siphon.
It can be tricky to get the silicone tube over the tap, but a bowl of hot water to dip the end in to usually does the job.
I also siphon if dry hopped and have a muslin bag over the sediment trap and stick.
As with a lot of these things, it's personal preference.
I'd say try both (obviously on different brews) and see which you prefer

Latest posts

Back