Tapatalk.

Discussion in 'Information, Announcements, and Feedback' started by Hoddy, Aug 29, 2018.

Help Support The Homebrew Forum UK by donating:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aug 29, 2018 #1

Hoddy

Hoddy

Hoddy

General lurker.......

I’ve noticed that Tapatalk has stopped working again.

I’m getting an .XML loading error message and it just won’t accept my username and password at all. Even though I can log in via a web interface.

Any updates recently?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 31, 2018
    cushyno and F00b4r like this.
  2. Aug 30, 2018 #2

Angie

Angie

Angie

Administrator. Administrator

I checked and found out that the TT is not connected at this time. We are working towards having a branded app.

3. Aug 30, 2018 #3

cushyno

cushyno

cushyno

Regular. Supporting Member

Noticed that too. Had to revert back to browser version for last two days.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 31, 2018
    Sadfield likes this.
  4. Aug 31, 2018 #4

Gerryjo

Gerryjo

Gerryjo

Landlord. Supporting Member

Same here using browser version as Tapatalk isn't importing the XML files.
    A branded app would be great.

Angie likes this.
  5. Aug 31, 2018 #5

F00b4r

F00b4r

F00b4r

Regular.

Boo! Experience tells me the branded editions usually suck and destroy the main point of having Tapatalk, being able to follow several forums. Those that have dropped Tapatalk support in the past I very rarely visit now.

6. Aug 31, 2018 #6

Sadfield

Sadfield

Sadfield

Landlord.

Agreed. I do wonder about the reasons an app and Tapatalk can't happily coexist.

7. Aug 31, 2018 #7

jjsh

jjsh

jjsh

Me too. Sort of reminds me of the bad old days when websites would only work with a particular browser.

Applesnmore likes this.
  8. Sep 1, 2018 #8

F00b4r

F00b4r

F00b4r

Regular.

The app is likely a restricted Tapatalk, fit some reason though they do not tend to work very well compared to the proper one and it runs the while point of Tapatalk. The reason though is likely monetisation.

9. Sep 2, 2018 #9

Chippy_Tea

Chippy_Tea

Chippy_Tea

I have read having to pinch zoom to read posts (as they do not fit the screen automatically) is one of the main reasons people don't like mobile versions of forums Opera browser gets round this by using text wrap (you may have to enable it in the settings) which makes the text fit the screen every time you zoom, it really is a great way to view forums.

Obviously diehard Tapatalk users are not going to switch but it may make the wait for the branded Tapatalk version less painful and for those who don't know about text wrap it may be a breath of fresh air.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.opera.browser

Opera browser for Android is a fast, safe and secure browser.

Top features

● Read comfortably on any screen:
    With Opera, you can force zoom on any page, making it easier to read. We even make sure the text fits nicely on your screen with automatic text wrap.

● Private browsing: Use private tabs to go incognito anywhere on the Internet without leaving a trace on your device.

● Save data : Switch to data-savings mode to load pages faster than ever on slow networks. Powered by our famous compression technology, the Opera browser works hard to save loads of data without breaking your browsing experience.

● Sync your Opera devices: Give yourself access to all the bookmarks, Speed Dial shortcuts, and open tabs from your other devices with Opera.

● Smart news feed: Swipe through a range of personalized news channels within the browser, subscribe to your favorite channels, and save stories to read later.

● Sleek new look: Our new, lightweight design makes it easier to find what you need and do what you came online to do.

● Add to home screen: Add any website directly to your device's home screen to access it even faster. Sites like Facebook can even send you push notifications, just like the app.

10. Sep 18, 2018 #10

pvt_ak

pvt_ak

pvt_ak

Budding Brewer !

Bring back Tapatalk!
    I hate the browser version on mobile.
    It’s ok on desktop - but easy navigation is missing when on the move

11. Sep 19, 2018 #11

Chippy_Tea

Chippy_Tea

Chippy_Tea

While you and other members wait try Opera (see my earlier post) click the 3 verticals dots in the top right corner of the opera screen and select desktop site.

I don't use desktop site.

12. Sep 19, 2018 #12

F00b4r

F00b4r

F00b4r

Regular.

Using a different browser isn't going to change things, it works fine on iOS Safari but the work flow is completely different to the extent that I probably visit the site 80% less and (given past experience of another two sites) probably in the future stop visiting it more than once every couple of months.

13. Sep 19, 2018 #13

Chippy_Tea

Chippy_Tea

Chippy_Tea

It isn't but if members who don't normally use a browser use Chrome (as it's the most popular) they will not enjoy the experience at all as chrome (and many other browsers) do not use text wrap (see my earlier post) so while you wait for Tapatalk why not try it as the only other option as you say is not visit.

14. Sep 19, 2018 #14

Sadfield

Sadfield

Sadfield

Landlord.

So will the branded Tapatalk allow access to all other forums? Why restrict Tapatalk users access when not ready to offer an alternative?

15. Sep 19, 2018 #15

pvt_ak

pvt_ak

pvt_ak

Budding Brewer !

Agreed - I’m the same . It’s the whole workflow , presentation of materials , thread flows , it’s just not as fluid for me.

I don’t understand why it can’t work with Tapatalk.

This is an ace forum and my presence alone over last 2 weeks has reduced by 90% as a result.

16. Sep 20, 2018 #16

F00b4r

F00b4r

F00b4r

Regular.

The whole point of a branded Tapatalk is that it is locked to that particular forum so really negates almost all the value of it, it is essentially an attempt to lock you into visiting one particular forum rather than the ones you would like to. The worst thing is that for some reason these brand version seem to be much buggier than the normal one (not sure why but maybe they get updated less). The forum still has to have a Tapatalk plugin installed so it's pretty much a crappy monopsony play from the owners.

Sadfield likes this.
  17. Sep 21, 2018 #17

Chippy_Tea

Chippy_Tea

Chippy_Tea

I have been asked to be the bearer of bad news to members who have posted in this thread.

The final decision has been made and there will be no branded version of Tapatalk and Tapatalk will not be enabled again, here is a little forum background information and the reason -

The current forum owner bought the forum a few years ago from the original owners as it had become expensive to host and very time consuming to run, I assume most members will be unaware
    that when members use Tapatalk to view the forum the site owner receives no funds unlike when we use a browser this cash-flow pays for the upkeep and hosting of the forum.

The site owner saved the site from dissaperaing for good surely a little inconvenience (having to use a mobile browser) is worth it to keep the forum running.

I have decided to close the thread as further discussion is not going to change this decision.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.