Tapcooler counter-pressure filler vs. Blichmann beer gun 2

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IainM

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hi all,
I want to buy a low oxygen bottle filler, preferably with the option to bottle carbonated beer from a keg. My carbonation cap works a treat for plastic screw-tops, but I prefer glass. I can't decide between the Tapcooler, plus ball lock adaptor and keg connector, or the Blichmann beer gun v2. Does anyone have any experience with either of these products, or other low-oxygen bottle filling kit? These aren't cheap, at around £140 for either option.

I was looking at similar options, but thought I'd try one of the cheap 'generic' counter-pressure fillers first.

They are listed all over the place at various prices but I think they are all the same - mine was £25 on Amazon and looks the same as this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Counter-Pressure-Stainless-Bottling-Equipment/dp/B07KW86HNM
Screenshot 2021-05-26 at 11.26.32.png

It works really well for what I need, which is basically just filling the occasional bottle from a Corny without having to drop the pressure. You do need some way of clamping it though, otherwise it takes three hands to operate.

If you're looking to fill a lot of bottles it might get a bit tedious; but it will certainly do oxygen-free as you can fully purge the bottle with CO2 before you start filling.

Screenshot 2021-05-26 at 11.31.23.png

I think the Blichman is a great piece of kit. I haven't used a counter pressure filler so can't compare unfortunately.

Hi all,
I want to buy a low oxygen bottle filler, preferably with the option to bottle carbonated beer from a keg. My carbonation cap works a treat for plastic screw-tops, but I prefer glass. I can't decide between the Tapcooler, plus ball lock adaptor and keg connector, or the Blichmann beer gun v2. Does anyone have any experience with either of these products, or other low-oxygen bottle filling kit? These aren't cheap, at around £140 for either option.
Hi Ian
I've got a brand new blichmann V2 beer gun that I've never used. If your interested, I'm open to offers.
Brian

I was looking at similar options, but thought I'd try one of the cheap 'generic' counter-pressure fillers first.

They are listed all over the place at various prices but I think they are all the same - mine was £25 on Amazon and looks the same as this:

Counter Pressure Bottle Filler Stainless Steel Beer Bottle Filler 3 Way CO2 Brewing Tools Kit for Beer Gun Bottling Equipment: Amazon.co.uk: Kitchen & Home
View attachment 47858

It works really well for what I need, which is basically just filling the occasional bottle from a Corny without having to drop the pressure. You do need some way of clamping it though, otherwise it takes three hands to operate.

If you're looking to fill a lot of bottles it might get a bit tedious; but it will certainly do oxygen-free as you can fully purge the bottle with CO2 before you start filling.

View attachment 47859
Yep, the key critical minds of Keg Land engineering staff have copied the Tap Cooler bottle filler. And done so with a clear conscience as per usual. One day they might come up with an idea of their own.
Counter Pressure Bottle Filler Kit (Duotight Compatible)

Yep, the key critical minds of Keg Land engineering staff have copied the Tap Cooler bottle filler. And done so with a clear conscience as per usual. One day they might come up with an idea of their own.
Counter Pressure Bottle Filler Kit (Duotight Compatible)
Heh - yes exactly the same as the one I got off Amazon, right down to the markings on the valves.
Presumably the £25 price tag (incl. delivery) reflects the true cost of the components.

I have the Blichmann 2 and love it, but mainly bottle all my beers either pre-carbonated or primed for bottle conditioning. Once set up it's great and very versatile for different size bottles etc, however a PITA for doing a couple of bottles from a keg. So, it largely depends on what you want to do, the odd bottle or full runs.

I just got Tapcooler a few weeks ago and as i only bottle a few bottles for friends and family Imhabe found it excellent . Easy to use with my Kegerator and very easy to clean . Great fir all sizes of bottles .

I was using the Blichmann for a couple years when I saw a tapcooler review. I have all intertap faucets so the tapcooler was acquired, it's great. No hoses to clean, easy to use, maintains carbonation and simple dunk in Starsan to clean. I keg so it's perfect for travel six's or competition bottles.

Counter Pressure Bottle Filler Stainless Steel Beer Bottle Filler 3 Way CO2 Brewing Tools Kit for Beer Gun Bottling Equipment: Amazon.co.uk: Kitchen & Home
View attachment 47858

View attachment 47859

I ended up getting one of these. It seems solid, albeit not as pretty as the tapcooler. I'm curious, what is the diameter of the hose you attach to the barbs at the top? Also, did you rotate your gas/foam out tap by 90 degrees? Mine is parallel to the barbs. Lastly, how do you connect it to the gas? I'm thinking of using the barb of a carbonation cap so I can use the quick disconnects I've already got.

I leave mine setup as photo. 5/8 beer/gas line warmed up pushes easily and snuggly on to the barbs for gas and liquid. It’s then got 5/8 to 3/8 reducers for gas no liquid disconnects. I attach a flexible bit of silicone hose to the blow off - I get hardly any foaming if I work slowly.

Attachments

• 87C372E4-5E4E-4819-B1DB-D49B67AFD875.jpeg
    87C372E4-5E4E-4819-B1DB-D49B67AFD875.jpeg
    84.1 KB · Views: 94
I'm curious, what is the diameter of the hose you attach to the barbs at the top?
Heh - I'd forgotten how much 'fun' that was... I only had 3/8" (too big) or 3/16" (too small) available at the time, but I dunked the 3/16" in boiling water, and with a lot of swearing eventually managed to stretch it over :laugh8: then I use push-fit reducers to take it up to 3/8"

Also, did you rotate your gas/foam out tap by 90 degrees? Mine is parallel to the barbs
Nah, it just came like that :-)

Lastly, how do you connect it to the gas?
Just with a length of silicone hose - I tee off the gas line going to the keg, then go thru an isolation tap (just a JG blue one seems to work fine)

I've got some videos of using it that I keep meaning to post... do you need them?

I have the williamswarn counter pressure filler. Well made but expensive, it is a joy to use though. Only needs two hands, time to cap the last bottle whilst it fills the next on it's own. I did bottle a 50 litre keg for some friends, bit of a marathon but not a stress. I'd look at the Boel Itap as well now if I was looking for a bottler. I do keg most of my beer, but bottle about 10 litres per brew, for giveaways etc. Does a good job.

Latest posts

Back