Taps or beer engine? Or both!!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Right, now all the merriments are done onto serious things lol!! I’m planning out my keezer build. Looking at 4 kegs and 3 or 4 outlets, but I’m really struggling to decide if it’s worth using beer engines... I’ll probably have a stout and ale on most of the time, with an IPA or lager. I don’t want to regret in 6 months not building an engine in if it’s really worth it, so would like a bit of sage advice from those in the know please!!!

It depends on what you want to brew and drink. Beer engines are best for traditional British styles like bitter, mild and porter. If you're more interested in lagers or modern styles then taps on a kegerator are best. Also remember that the beer served out of a beer engine will probably need to be served at a higher temperature than beer out of a kegerator - typically between 10 and 15 degrees C. So you may need a second kegerator, or a partitioned kegerator, to serve through a beer engine. I'm fortunate as my setup is in the cellar so the ambient temperature is fine for British beers.

PS - if the only reason for getting a beer engine is to serve stout, then you will be better served looking into a nitro setup or getting a stout spout for one of the kegerator taps

Good points! The reason I’m looking now is I can build it to suit - I’m thinking a separate compartment to store the beer engine corny. I drink mostly ales so would definitely get use from an engine or two if they’re worth using!

You may just need to ask yourself why you are considering a beer engine because that’s what’s going to determine whether you’re happy with the result.

There may be a practical reason such as drawing ale up from a cellar but often it’s more about ambiance. In this case, and for me at least, a beer engine looks best on a traditional bar so if you have a bar setup (or are planning to build one) then a beer engine will help create that feel-good traditional pub atmosphere.

If you’re going to be serving from a pantry or garage you might just as well use a tap and with the change buy a secondary regulator and another fridge.

Latest posts

Back