Tarmac cyclist

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some bicycle riders "cyclists" as some like to call themselves, can be pretty selfish and self-righteous.

Couple years ago here in the states an older guy made a right turn on a green light at an intersection. "Cyclist" on the sidewalk, where he wasn't supposed to be, ran a "Do Not Walk" light at the pedestrian crossing and ran into the old guys vehicle, totals his bike and hits the pavement. Old guy gets out to help the "cyclist" and the "cyclist" gets up and starts wailing on the old guy. He continues to beat on the guy and has finally pushed him down on the seat in his vehicle and won't stop. Fearing for his life the old guy got his glove box open, grabbed his pistol, and killed the "cyclist".

He had lots of witnesses. He walked away, well, was carried away in an ambulance with the beating he got, but he never faced any charges.

All the Best,
D. White

I don't believe in that. Cycling should be free to enjoy. May that be to commute to work or to enjoy it as a sport. It should be used as an incentive for people as a mode of transport. Holland is a great example
Yip, just as I said in my OP, it's just my opinion

Some bicycle riders "cyclists" as some like to call themselves, can be pretty selfish and self-righteous.

Couple years ago here in the states an older guy made a right turn on a green light at an intersection. "Cyclist" on the sidewalk, where he wasn't supposed to be, ran a "Do Not Walk" light at the pedestrian crossing and ran into the old guys vehicle, totals his bike and hits the pavement. Old guy gets out to help the "cyclist" and the "cyclist" gets up and starts wailing on the old guy. He continues to beat on the guy and has finally pushed him down on the seat in his vehicle and won't stop. Fearing for his life the old guy got his glove box open, grabbed his pistol, and killed the "cyclist".

He had lots of witnesses. He walked away, well, was carried away in an ambulance with the beating he got, but he never faced any charges.

All the Best,
D. White
What's that got to do with cycling.

Vehicle excise duty ( we don't have a road tax) is an emission tax. Thus cyclists would be zero rated. VED isn't ring fenced for the use on transport infrastructure, it's just a general tax. Fuel duty isn't paid by electric vehicles, cyclists, horses and pedestrians, and so on.

But I reiterate - everyone who pays any sort of tax pays for the roads. There are no special taxes that raise money for roads per se. In fact, a lot of it comes out of council tax - should people with large, high band houses therefore get priority access over people in smaller ones?

The 'cyclists don't pay for the roads' argument is an old chestnut, and it's consistently wrong.
OK, I take your point on tax but what about my other points?
"be put through a test and hold a licence, insurance, fined/penalty points for not adhering to the highway code and breathalysed if involved in an accident"

I would say that applies to all road users. Cycling around London I've seen cyclist on cyclist, car driver on car driver, moped on car driver, etc, etc, all kinds of mayhem

OK, I take your point on tax but what about my other points?
"be put through a test and hold a licence, insurance, fined/penalty points for not adhering to the highway code and breathalysed if involved in an accident"

On the surface this makes sense but then people wouldn't cycle (apparently studies have shown even trying to make cyclists wear helmets deters many from cycling). So the knock on effect would be lower levels of health (effecting NHS of course) and more cars on the road (with all attendant problems e.g. pollution, jams etc). Im sure there are other knock on effects, else governments would do it and AFAIK no government in the world does.

I blame @Drunkula for reopening this thread for mentioning the snug forum (I never noticed it before)

But I do believe it's an important topic that should be debated, though probably best not on a brewing forum lol

I blame @Drunkula for reopening this thread for mentioning the snug forum

But I do believe it's an important topic that should be debated, though probably best not on a brewing forum lol

It isnt just brewing forums. If you read any national papers and read the letters page, whenever this topic comes up there's always loads of vitriol being throw (both ways). I also blame Drunkula :laugh8:

Pssssst - I've got some adblock rules that stop the snug being shown in the forums list and removes the posts from the recent threads. I've slashed my blood pressure medicine since I wrote them.

I only got drawn in here through the portal of my name being invoked. PM me if you want them.... Shhhhhhh!

Pssssst - I've got some adblock rules that stop the snug being shown in the forums list and removes the posts from the recent threads. I've slashed my blood pressure medicine since I wrote them.

I only got drawn in here through the portal of my name being invoked. PM me if you want them.... Shhhhhhh!

:laugh8:

The mod team really can block/ban members from the snug only if requested (well chippy can, as he's got more mod powers than me).

If any member wishes to no longer see the snug in the forum list and in new post message me.

every one has a right on the road and we all need to get alone,motorcyclists and bicyclists that jump lights and act like idiots need to learn to share their organs, hahahahahahahahahaha

I'm a cyclist and a motorist. In the UK if you think a motorist has it bad with irregular road surfaces and potholes...Try cycling...We pay exactly for what we get....F..ALL.

I'm a cyclist and a motorist. In the UK if you think a motorist has it bad with irregular road surfaces and potholes...Try cycling...We pay exactly for what we get....F..ALL.
What should you get that motorists get?

I do wonder what will happen when motoring eventually goes all electric.
Just think,just imagine the scale of the loss in fuel duty.

It will have to be made up somehow.

Latest posts

Back