Tart cider

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes. I was lucky in having a very good local homebrew shop nearby (now gone) which ran courses in brewing and as a one-off, one on cider making too. The guy who ran it had been making cider regularly fo 30+ years, never used commercial yeast for it and never had a duff batch. So I followed suit.
Did he say where he got the apples? My own scrat and press efforts in my garage made an awful mess, but gave me unpasteurised juice, presumably with wild yeast. I'm considering getting juice pressed by local farmers, but they say they are obligated to pasteurise it, so no wild yeast.

You may have picked up the juice drink which is in the same carton, this is just apple juice from concentrate (and citric acid )which helps to balance flavour, nothing else in there.

Could you use the farmers' juice for the bulk of it and then add crab apples and whatever else you can find to provide the yeast?
The missus has a couple of crab apple trees as part of a flower garden. Never occurred that I might use them for this - thank you.

You may have picked up the juice drink which is in the same carton, this is just apple juice from concentrate (and citric acid )which helps to balance flavour, nothing else in there.
I'll have another look - thank you.

Latest posts

Back