Tasteless Pilsner

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Help needed I am currently brewing a Brupaks All grain Bavarian Pilsner mash kit and am just about to cold crash before bottle conditioning and then lagering. I should add that I am not a great lover of lagers in general but was asked to brew this for the Boss!!
Prior to cold crashing I tasted the brew from the trial jar and it was inoffensive if a little bland.However the bosses opinion was it had NO taste !
Recipe
4.3 Kg Lager malt
450g wheat malt
100g Acidulated malt
Hops
45g Perle @60 mins
45g Hallertauer Hersbrucker @ 30 mins
Yeast Brewferm lager yeast as supplied
Pre boil gravity 1.045
Original gravity 1.051
Final gravity 1.011
I hit all the numbers spot on
This was the first time in using RO water for any of my brews and I adjusted it with CRS,Cal Chloride and Gypsum as per Brewfather to get a Pilsen water profile.
Will the taste of this brew improve greatly after conditioning and Lagering ? Or am I hoping for too much ?
Any advice welcome

I find it hard to believe a lager drinker (guessing he drinks macro lagers) would say that it has no taste as it has got enough hops to give it a lager taste. Maybe he's got covid and lost his sense of taste and smell :coat:

No hops later than 30 minutes is going to be on the malty side. Let it condition and served chilled it should be a nice refreshing lager.

I just brewed a Bohemian pilsner and had a cheeky taste 2 weeks after bottling. I was underwhelmed with the flavour. 2 weeks later I tried it again and it had improved considerably. 2 weeks further on it was amazing - so don't judge a young pilsner, it needs time to condition.

Back