TCP

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Thought I got a whiff of TCP / phenols when bottling last weekend and, sure enough, it's in the beer - looks like I've got my first failed brew in a very long time.

Bog-standard AG brew, British ale with Challenger and Goldings fermented with Gervin yeast, no change to my usual technique, the only thing I can think of is that it got too hot in that weather at the end of May? I put my FV in a trug of water with a fish tank heater which gives some temp control in cold weather, but of course does nothing to protect against hot weather. Every year I say to myself I'll give up brewing June-Sept (after some failed brews in this period years ago) but the early hot spell caught me out.

So am I right in thinking it's temperature-related? I really can't think of anything else, apart from more small flying things in the kitchen due to the hot weather.

Do you use a wort chiller, I had failed brews until I made one and always in summer probably from wild yeasts.

No, I do small-volume brews with a 15L pan so dunk it in several sinkfulls of cold water and stir to get the temp down. There were some small fruit flies around the kitchen this time which kinda worried me.

Latest posts

Back