TEA WINE- beginners series - 1

Help Support The HomeBrew Forum:

Mangold

Reaction score
Hedgerow,

Have just read this thread. Thanks, very straightforward.

Just a quick one, any suggestions on choice of tea bag for a white style wine?

Also, I know you say the above is to 'your tastes', but is there a super market equivalent you would say it is like?

Thank you for your time and effort.

hedgerowpete

Regular.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hedgerow,

Have just read this thread. Thanks, very straightforward.

Just a quick one, any suggestions on choice of tea bag for a white style wine?

Also, I know you say the above is to 'your tastes', but is there a super market equivalent you would say it is like?

Thank you for your time and effort.

The meemshab loves the orange and ginger as a white as well as chamimile tea and lady grey tea. Any of the flower teas, elderflower and the like, its an incredably simple wine and very fast for a novice its a great starter wine.

One of the weirdest ones ever was peppermint and liquorice root tea, its bonkers, its a white wine and the first sip and bouguet is peppermint, 100% slap in the face peppermint, but first swallow and the whole mouth warms to the liquorice. it really is bininary,one then the other. bonkers

Now when i get asked "what does it taste like?" here i really do struggle as i dont drink a lot of grape wines. I only drink old world wines anyway and mainly then western europe old world only.

The best an ignorant git like me can describe it is, its not a grape wine you want to compare against, thing if you look in asda or the like, the cheap end of the wine isle is those mixed fruit drinks ECHO FALL fruit wines or BLOSSOM HILL fruit flavours. they are light and thin, its airy and soft and ho so smooth, best served ice cold and after work on a hot day go down lovely,

My wife describes it as an afternoon wine. A lady of leisure would sit on a deck chair on a sunny saturday afternoon and have a glass or two ( or five) but still be able to get up and sort the kids dinner out at 6pm without to much of a wobble. Whilst the old man cremates the sausages on the bbq with a beer in hand . They have a very strong simple singular flavour to them its not subtle in the slightess and a decent bouquet to it as well. Its a similar idea to a Cinzano and lemonade or a pimms in a tall glass.

MmmBeer

Reaction score
I started a batch of strawberry, cranberry & raspberry, as per your recipe last night and have just pitched the yeast.

I will be interested to see how it comes out, in comparison to the fruit juice wines I have made.

hedgerowpete

Regular.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I started a batch of strawberry, cranberry & raspberry, as per your recipe last night and have just pitched the yeast.

I will be interested to see how it comes out, in comparison to the fruit juice wines I have made.

we like it, its cheap, its quick and its very easy to drink, its not perfect nor is it complex or award winning or competition grade, its a house plonk, you vin ordinaire, its Mr Reliable orMr Quaffable.

and at 50p a bottle its great to hand out to scroungers that all ways want a free bottle of wine because your a home wine maker and if it goes utterly wrong the whole gallon has cost £2.50 with sugar and tea bags and yeast

but remember its a simple wine, its simple to make and simple in content too, as a novice we used to make one of these amonth as its a great quick starter,do a tea wine and then a veg and then a flower and then leaf or sap and then a tea

Mangold

Reaction score
Thanks HedgegrowPete. Just getting my Demi's out of storage. Not sure whether to do a wine or a turbo cider first.

Nicks90

Landlord.
Reaction score
Sorry hedgerow Pete
Decided to change this up a bit and make a berry tea cider!
6l water, 2l apple juice, 1kg sugar, pactolase and yeast nutrient and 20 Aldi very berry tea bags. All boiled up and going to be left overnight. Once cooled I'll split it in to 2 DJ and add some cml cider yeast
Brix of 13, so roughly 1.050 which should attenuate out to approx 6%
Not sure yet if I want a hard or sparkling cider, but I've got 2 weeks to see decide

Attachments

hedgerowpete

Regular.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
well its been a couple of weeks now when i started this thread so whats happening at chateau hedgerow

Theres two here the left is twinings and my own standard tea wine, the one on the right is the cheaper Asda tea we started this post with. I have not on purpose taken an sg reading as, as a beginner its not needed. We just wait till its finished bubbling on its own.

I took this picture because the demi johns wanted topping up from the shoulder to the nect top, here we used pre brought bottled water as its a known clean supply.

back on the shelf for another week of two

Mr_S_Jerusalem

Reaction score
Started this in bucket today. Minor issue - the tea bags broke lol. Apparently they don’t like to be stirred.
No entirely an issue as I can strain them tomorrow into a demijohn but the sultanas will only have had 24 hours time in there.

I suspect it won’t matter much lol.

This is actually the nicest smelling one I can remember making. The tea is very pungent.

GerritT

Landlord.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Recipe reads like the JOAM lol

Richie_asg1

Reaction score
Thanks for posting this for us newbies. There is a lot of information out there so some basics are what is needed. My Partner has a lot of tea, almost a cupboard full of it - One of her friends runs Nothing but Tea so has just about everything they do. Maybe I can convert some to wine.

Looking at the Demijohns; What is it like working in the Ministry of Magic?

GerritT

Landlord.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for posting this for us newbies. There is a lot of information out there so some basics are what is needed. My Partner has a lot of tea, almost a cupboard full of it - One of her friends runs Nothing but Tea so has just about everything they do. Maybe I can convert some to wine.

Looking at the Demijohns; What is it like working in the Ministry of Magic?
I feel like a Warlock.

No, really. I have so much micro-mega-power at hand, it's fantastic.

Mr_S_Jerusalem

Reaction score
I feel like a Warlock.

No, really. I have so much micro-mega-power at hand, it's fantastic.
Do you ever get that feeling, not long after you sprinkle that yeast on, and you see that first bubble? Something like; Behold, The Miracle of Creation! For I Have Created Life!

Man that gets me every time

hedgerowpete

Regular.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Started this in bucket today. Minor issue - the tea bags broke lol. Apparently they don’t like to be stirred.
No entirely an issue as I can strain them tomorrow into a demijohn but the sultanas will only have had 24 hours time in there.

I suspect it won’t matter much lol.

This is actually the nicest smelling one I can remember making. The tea is very pungent.
one very easy trick too do, is to use tea bags to increase the wines bouquet, if your wine tastes great but struggles on the nose, at the end of ferment drop on two tea bags for 48 hours, the alc pressent will extract the tea bag esters very well, but it wont hold it for long, several months if that.

its a great tip for competition users though, got many rosettes because of tea bags in wine

Mr_S_Jerusalem

Reaction score
That’s brilliant! A shame it doesn’t last permanently though.

Mind you, if it was just to drink at home, presumably if it was a screw top you’d bottled it in you could just pop in a tea bag 2 days before you were going to drink it?

I topped up my Gooseberry wine with stewed sweet camomile tea when I racked it to see if it added a bit of flavour after I made some tea wine. It’s got to be better than just water and sugar!

Group Builder