TEA WINE- beginners series - 1

Help Support The HomeBrew Forum:

StormUK

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thx @hedgerowpete this is a great thread. I am a complete noob to this hobby, having just completed my first batch of TC. Anyway, after a failed attempt at some mead several years ago I had a DJ laying around which I have just given a clean. Will pop to the supermarket later for the required ingredients and will keep you posted on my progress. That peppermint & liquorice bonkers one you mentioned interests me greatly, I love things a little off the wall so I will be looking for them.
How long does this stuff usually take to ferment?
How long is it best left to mature in the bottle before drinking?
Thanks again for a great thread and read. Would be interested in the parsnip wine you mentioned.

hedgerowpete

Regular.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
for me i am slow so its three weeks to ferment, ish give or take a couple. after that it clears very quickly on its own but you can help it if its chilled down a touch, drinkable straight away, it does not keep and does not improve with age, its a young wine to drink

if i get my fingers out of my backside and really put effort into it, i can lower the sugar to 850gm and ferment out in two to three weeks max, chilled to clear and drinking within five weeks. certainly 8 weeks max even if i am lazy

its cheap and cheerful plonk, nothing else and as a beginner its a great starter wine as you can do one of these whilst waiting for bigger better wines to work through

StormUK

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds ideal, thanks. Will get some on the go this evening.

hedgerowpete

Regular.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yes, and for this sort of wine, in my taste far to sweet. but i always find that newbes always go too sweet to start with and then work back, they use either freezing cold chilled to kill the bad tatstes or overly too sweet.

When i do my own version of this i do a very different set up, similar but a lot more ingreadints and effort to getthe same results, lol

GerritT

Landlord.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So far so good:

3 pints of bagged tea (10 bags), 3 pints of 'loose bits' tea (20 grams), makes about 6 pints of fruit tea. Pour in demi tonight, and half the sugar and a teaspoon citric acid. Tomorrow the yeast (after giving the demi a thorough shaking), expect bloobs on Saturday, add rest of the sugar and 2 pints of water on Sunday.

And then we wait.

Attachments

GerritT

Landlord.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Addendum: can't do that, because I won't be able to measure OG. So it all goes tomorrow.

hedgerowpete

Regular.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
when i started this thread i on purpose did not want to use a Hydrometer for its not needed for a beginner to make wine

GerritT

Landlord.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Once this is bottled, most likely a few 2 L water bottles for me, how long will it last?

And how long does it tend to 'stay good' after opening?
Same here. I guess it will be good after 2 months and will stay good for half a year. But anyone expertise in the particular area?

hedgerowpete

Regular.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Once this is bottled, most likely a few 2 L water bottles for me, how long will it last?

And how long does it tend to 'stay good' after opening?
its a young wine and quick wine,, its never designed for storing or keeping

brew this year, drink this year.

i have no idea what an open bottle of wines stays good for i have a wife for those issues

Nicks90

Landlord.
Reaction score
Well my fruity tea turbo cider is still bubbling away after 2 weeks, usual To be honest.
If it does down by next weekend I'll give a pint a taste as a hard cider and then make the decision on whether to do hard or sparkling when it comes to bottling.
Still looks a lovely colour!

hedgerowpete

Regular.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
well we are at day 23 now a short three weeks in and mine looks like this

its thrown most of the yeast as thin lining, honest its not an inch deep, compared to what else is fermenting at the moment it is also slowing down and clearing slightly too

hedgerowpete

Regular.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hope non of our female members read that. :laugh8:

i cant believe some sicko leaves wine in a bottle after pulling the cork, its just wrong, i am sure in France they would bring the guillotine back just for this crime against wine

Latest posts

Group Builder