TEA WINE- beginners series - 1

Help Support The HomeBrew Forum:

Mr_S_Jerusalem

Reaction score
Mine seems to have finished, is that weird considering I started it on the 8th?

Incidentally it tastes excellent, very happy with this one.

hedgerowpete

Regular.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine seems to have finished, is that weird considering I started it on the 8th?

Incidentally it tastes excellent, very happy with this one.

nope thats sounds normal a couple of weeks is about right, transfer it and know the co2 out of it and meta sulf to kill it and bottle. if you need to sweeten it use canderall not sugar

GerritT

Landlord.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Progress so far:
What gravity is it supposed to end? Started at 1092, now at 1030-ish, so approx. 8% ABV and very sweet. Used QA23 but have an K1-V1116 standing by @20º

hedgerowpete

Regular.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you want it to be down to at least 1010 a 1000 is better, afterwards back sweeten it with non sugar sweeteners

Nicks90

Landlord.
Reaction score
Mine has been dormant for a week now. Might take a sneaky hydrometer reading tomorrow and see where we are at.

If it's done, I'll get it bottled and do another batch and drop it straight on to the yeast cake at the bottom of the DJ's
Might as well reuse the yeast.

Does anyone know how high cml cider yeast will go abv? Might do a wine instead of a cider this time if the yeast will manage 10%

Mr_S_Jerusalem

Reaction score
Bottled my mixed fruit tea wine at the weekend. It's quite thin, but has enough fruity flavour to be pleasant. To me it taste like an alcoholic diluted fruit squash.

Which is excellent lol.

You're right, it would be great as a chilled drink in Summer.

Nicks90

Landlord.
Reaction score
Its done! FG just under 1.000
16 bottles of fruit cider bottled! Had a sneaky taste and its lovely, fresh and fruity. This will make an awesome summer cider. Second batch currently cooling and will get dumped on the yeast cake of this batch hopefully tonight.

Was thinking of doing a wine, hence my question about alcohol tolerance of cider yeast - but sod it. More cider please!
tea cider.jpg

MmmBeer

Reaction score
Just got around to checking mine after about 5 weeks untouched, it's at 0.990. Will rack into fresh demi and add stabiliser.

HalsteadMills

Reaction score
IMG_20200315_140334.jpg

Got a little carried away - PG tips & tinned peaches (and decaf version), 3 ginger, green tea with lemon, and peppermint. All now in bottles at about 4.5%. Try them when the sun shines . Many of the tea bags stayed in throughout ferment (don't ask) so hope they'll be ok.

samale

Landlord.
Reaction score
Great thread I have to try this. Love your attitude:hat:

Group Builder