Temp a little low - warming belt/pad?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My first kit is bubbling away, but at 18C and not the kit instructed 20-25C (mangrove pale ale).
It's in the garage, and I don't really want to bring it into the house.
Is the lower temp ok, or should I be looking at a belt or pad? These are either on/off - do people use a timer plug, and if so, how often and for how long does the brew need a boost?
It's bubbling... So not massively concerned about fermentation stalling.

I'd be happy with 18C, like Terry says - it's a good temp for the majority of ale yeasts.

I used one of these before I built up a fermentation chamber from an old fridge. The FV was kept in a cool cupboard and the temperature regulated with an ITC-1000 controller:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Better-Bre...ocphy=1007334&hvtargid=pla-362068810520&psc=1

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Inkbird-Te...-1000&qid=1565728881&s=kitchen&sr=1-1-catcorr

The ITC-308 controller is more expensive, but it's great because you can just plug your heat belt (or whatever heat source you choose) into the socket. No need for DIY wiring if you haven't the knowhow or time:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Inkbird-Te...words=itc-308&qid=1565728958&s=gateway&sr=8-3

But, no need to splash cash early on. Unless you wanted to. Sounds to me like you're on track for a decent brewwink...

Got some empty (plastic) bottles? Fill'm up with hot water, put next to the fermentor, blanket over everything, should warm it a bit up.
But 18ºC will work too, maybe a bit slower. No worries.

Thanks all. I'll leave it for now. Happy to wait an extra few days if needed.
I'm happy wiring up a PID controller etc - I've modified my gaggia classic coffee machine to enable precision control of the boiler... The only thing my electronics degree was ever useful for!! A little harder to control a larger FV in an open garage tho.

My first kit is bubbling away, but at 18C and not the kit instructed 20-25C (mangrove pale ale).
It's in the garage, and I don't really want to bring it into the house.
Is the lower temp ok, or should I be looking at a belt or pad? These are either on/off - do people use a timer plug, and if so, how often and for how long does the brew need a boost?
It's bubbling... So not massively concerned about fermentation stalling.
What yeast? 25C seems kind of high. I'd bet 18C will work fine, that's not really all that cold for an ale yeast.

What yeast? 25C seems kind of high. I'd bet 18C will work fine, that's not really all that cold for an ale yeast.
High, but not unreasonable. A stable temperature is as important as being within the limits. Young's yeast still perform well at a stable 23º, but results are less when it swings from 18 to 25 on a daily basis.

No idea on the yeast type.. Just what came in the kit.
Is this your kit?

mj004.jpg

Yup, the internet comes up blank with what yeast is in there. It's only addressed as "high quality" and "reliable" - that's all I could find.

18C will be soundathumb..

18 will be fine. I (now) have mine in an old fridge which is set to 18.5 +/- 0.5 and that works well for me.

Great - thanks for the confidence booster.
Its got me looking at wifi Inkbird controllers and heating mats ready for the winter though! :)

Last edited:
High, but not unreasonable. A stable temperature is as important as being within the limits. Young's yeast still perform well at a stable 23º, but results are less when it swings from 18 to 25 on a daily basis.
Even if the ambient temperature swings from 18 to 25 the wort won't.

The 16C on the temp strip is starting to flicker a little this evening. It's been a cold and rainy day here, hopefully the ambient will pick up again when the sun reappears

Latest posts

Back