Temperature check

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andynohearu

Reaction score
Good afternoon everyone. I'm brewing two buckets, a wilko Mexican cerveza and a wilko artistan blonde ipa. Both buckets are brewing at 22-24c. The cerveza is suppose to be 18-20 and the ipa is 22-24 according to instructions. I have heard not to follow the wilko instructions religiously but wonder if a few degrees is damaging for the yeast? Thank you in advanced.

It wouldn't hurt to either put them on a cement or cold tile floor if you can, or wrap them with a wet towel and aim a fan at them.
The only problem is you might get some off flavours from the higher temperature (I reckon pretty unlikely though).

Thank you so much for replying. I dotn have any cold floors unfortunately. There doesn't seem to be much bubbling either. Wondering whether to put more yeast in?

I wouldn't worry, that isn't a high enough temperature to kill the yeast. It should be fine. Try to keep the temp a little lower if possible, but if not, relax and have a beer!
We all freak out over our first brews!

Sorry for spelling. Sorry, seen previous post which says may get off taste. Any way of counteracting it if I cannot get temperature down enough?

You should be fine as long as you can keep it at or below those temps, they both have ale yeast so are pretty good upto around 25 degrees but this is the upper limit for them.

Thank you. It does drop over night. Got windows open, fans going, and hoping for the best. Can see some bubbling happening so a little relieved, however it's been 36 hours, I would have thought it was be frothy and vigorous by now.

I use a fan and spray cold water onto bucket they call it evaporation cooling works a treat for me

Like I said it'll be fine, don't go on what your airlock is doing as the FV's don't seal 100% sometimes, I've had brews with foam coming out of the airlock and then ones that have little or no foaming (krausen) but still made good beers, leave it for at least 10 days or try to leave it for 14 as this will ensure fermentation is over and the yeast will clean itself up and drop out more giving you a clearer brew. Try not to open the lid to see what's going on whilst it's fermenting as this can cause bugs, bacteria etc getting in and also cause oxidation.

Latest posts

Back