Temperature controller for fridge

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rabbie

Reaction score
I'm looking at setting up a fridge to keep my FV out the way, since buckets of water with aquarium heaters in are looked down on in our kitchen :(

This should let me control the temperature year-round. How does this look price-wise? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ATC-800-NEW-DIGIT ... 4cf093e99c
I guess I could do it cheaper if I built one myself, but I'm not that confident with the electrics...
I would just set the fridge thermostat to min and put the FV inside in a bucket of water. The aquarium heater would go in the bucket of water along with the temp probe for the controller. Aquarium heater and fridge plugged into the controller and I would be all set? Or is there an easier way?

Thanks for the reply.
If I go for the TC-10 then I'd also need to buy a cable to run the supply and also a socket connection for the fridge and one for the heater, is that right? It would then be as simple as wiring up 9 connections?

rabbie said:
Thanks for the reply.
If I go for the TC-10 then I'd also need to buy a cable to run the supply and also a socket connection for the fridge and one for the heater, is that right? It would then be as simple as wiring up 9 connections?

It's fairly simple. And if you post a photo of your wiring on here before you plug it in, we can tell you if you're going to blow yourself up or not.

Right, that's the fridge installed. Here's how I was fermenting before:
DSC_1375.jpg

I managed to find a fridge that fits in the cupboard, but there's no chance of getting a water bath in there, it's a bloody tight fit just with the FV and no head space for the airlock even:
DSC_1373.jpg

DSC_1383.jpg

I've got the FV lid drilled and a cable gland installed which the aquarium heater is running through. Is that a bad idea...? I'm now a bit worried about having the heater directly in the wort (chemicals in the plastic and poor circulation) :hmm:
What do you guys reckon? Another option is to buy a small heating mat and use that instead.
My order is about to go in for a TC-10 so I should have it all set up in the next few weeks.

jamesb said:
That's a hell of a price jump considering it only adds a few cable glands and some extention blocks!

The seller's proper website is at http://www.forttex.com

Personally, I prefer the TC-10, but that's just me.
I hope yours lasts longer than mine has.
One of the display segments has gone faulty after 13 months with minimal use, I contacted Forttex and all I got was "Tuff-Titty" it's more than 12 months old..
I thought they might have done more for me seen as I bought 2, the other is working fine but I've now lost faith in the reliability! :(
BB

BarnsleyBrewer said:
I hope yours lasts longer than mine has.
One of the display segments has gone faulty after 13 months with minimal use, I contacted Forttex and all I got was "Tuff-Titty" it's more than 12 months old..
I thought they might have done more for me seen as I bought 2, the other is working fine but I've now lost faith in the reliability! :(
BB

That's not good.

Mine's been running about the same time, no problems yet though.

Part of e.mail I sent....
I bought this controller after been recommended by various people on “Jim’s Beer Kit”; I’d hate to put other buyers off with the poor lifespan of your product!

Reply.

We don’t appreciate being threatened in this way and since both are out of warranty now, we will not be able to help you.

Our products, including the TC-10, do have a great life span as can be proved from the many customers that are still using them. As you will know faults can occur in any electrical product at any time, which is unfortunate. Since the product has been with you for over a year we are unable to know for sure how it’s been looked after and where it’s been stored etc. Even when a customer says it’s been looked after then a supplier is unable to know that and a years warranty is quite generous as it is.

If is just that the last display digit that is faint or if a segment is faint then you controller is still operational and you can still use it.

Best Regards

Back