Temperature Monitoring

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ok so here is a strange one, at least that is it's strange to me. I have a fermatation chamber that I built which is well insulated. I have had 3 pressure barrels in there for a week or so priming. I bought an engbird temperature logger and decided to monitor the fermentation chamber. For a week this was great, it sat nicely at roughly 21C with only heat control no cooling. Since I have taken the pressure barrels out and switched off the heater, I've noticed that the temperature is going up higher and I'm getting greater temperature swings (day/night). Anyone any idea why?
IMG_20180708_170811.jpg
Screenshot_20180708_170715.jpg

Not a scientist but the volume/mass that was in there at the same temp, would act to stabilise any influences?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

It's all down to mass, insulation and ambient temperatures.

A calorie is the energy needed to raise the temperature of 1 gram of water through 1*C.

Not counting the FV's and the PB, inside the cabinet you had about 70,000 grams (+/-70 litres) of liquids and this would require an input (or removal) of +/-70,000 calories to raise (or lower) the temperature of the liquids by 1*C.

Remove this mass and the internal temperature is affected to a greater degree by external temperature fluctuations.

Hope this helps! :thumb:

PS Great insulated chamber! Jealous as my fridges only hold one FV or PB each! :cheers7:

Remove this mass and the internal temperature is affected to a greater degree by external temperature fluctuations.

PS Great insulated chamber! Jealous as my fridges only hold one FV or PB each! :cheers7:

What he said [emoji23][emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

A calorie is the energy needed to raise the temperature of 1 gram of water through 1*C.

Not counting the FV's and the PB, inside the cabinet you had about 70,000 grams (+/-70 litres) of liquids and this would require an input (or removal) of +/-70,000 calories to raise (or lower) the temperature of the liquids by 1*C.

This being so, why did it the temp in my brew bag rise when I transfered two 5L of sweet wort into a 10L FV to ferment in - Seeing as the mass is exactly the same?

Cheers Dutto

This being so, why did it the temp in my brew bag rise when I transfered two 5L of sweet wort into a 10L FV to ferment in - Seeing as the mass is exactly the same?
As @Dutto has said and I would hazard a guess and say you used glass demijohns which are not great for insulating as opposed to plastic pressure barrels due to their high density make up and quickly radiate heat generated be it at the current ambient when placed or when fermenting which leads me to think that you're possibly splitting an 11g packet between 10l of wort which is more than double the rated volume average they are packaged for being 11g per 23l of roughly 1.050sg resulting in your yeast getting high as kites on sweet wort and possibly hitting an fg of around 1.010 - 1.008 in a matter of day's.
This is only an assumption though [emoji106][emoji39]

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

As @Dutto has said and I would hazard a guess and say you used glass demijohns which are not great for insulating as opposed to plastic pressure barrels due to their high density make up and quickly radiate heat generated be it at the current ambient when placed or when fermenting which leads me to think that you're possibly splitting an 11g packet between 10l of wort which is more than double the rated volume average they are packaged for being 11g per 23l of roughly 1.050sg resulting in your yeast getting high as kites on sweet wort and possibly hitting an fg of around 1.010 - 1.008 in a matter of day's.
This is only an assumption though [emoji106][emoji39]

I didnt use glass DJs I used plastic 5L FVs. I also didnt use dried yeast. I made a starter from a couple of teaspoonfuls from a a jar of trub. I have no idea how much yeast I pitched as I dont bother using yeast calc and just eyeball how much I have and pitch based on that.

I didnt use glass DJs I used plastic 5L FVs. I also didnt use dried yeast. I made a starter from a couple of teaspoonfuls from a a jar of trub. I have no idea how much yeast I pitched as I dont bother using yeast calc and just eyeball how much I have and pitch based on that.
I take it your plastic FV's are mineral/spring water containers thinly lined.Interesting.

Maybe not at guessing but good at extracting info [emoji39]
You're on the witty side tonight @MyQul...

Had a nosy at those buckets and there is an excellent range in sizes,cheap and free click and collect :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Well done! :thumb:

I don't care what the rest of them say about you; I think you're okay! :laugh8:
Cheers @Dutto as trying to help nowadays seems to be a joke to some but with life as it is we have to be thick skinned to get through it[emoji23]

Latest posts

Back