Tesco apple juice 85p for 4 litres

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Went to a local Tesco and paid 65p for 4 'value' cartons so I went to an Extra store and the shelves were cleared.

On the way back I visited another local store and they had 2 4 packs left at 85p so I bought some more value to make 20L, the value went through at 16p each :party:

Now to plan my first cider.

Now marked as a clearance of a discontinued line - and the pallet was empty. Still, I got 96 litres and looks like a few other people have been lucky too. Got some new cider yeast yesterday so time to get a brew on.

Dave

OldPeculier said:
I snagged 20 litres in Cambridge last night. There was no price on it but at the checkout it came up at 85p for 4 litres. Nice!

Bugger which one, bar hill or Newmarket road? I have just made my first turbo cider, and the gravity smaple was good enough that I'd do more.......

I got 40L today as they had filled the shelf.

However the value is still cheaper at 16p/L is there any difference between them as far as brewing is concerned?

thanks all for the nod.
got the wife to buy me 20 litres.
please tell me how to make this cider,
the cartons state 11mg of sugar per 100 mil.
do you dilute this with water, do you heat it up.
if left as it is what would the starting gravity be.
what is the best yeast to use.
and how much sugar would you use at the final gravity,
I do like a good cider, but have only made the magmuns one,
which I found rubbish.
thanks sam.

Thank you for this thread, just got last 20 litres from local tesco? The guy argued blind it wasn't reduced but when scanned it was...so worth checking despite what labels may say.

sam51 said:
thanks all for the nod.
got the wife to buy me 20 litres.
please tell me how to make this cider,
the cartons state 11mg of sugar per 100 mil.
do you dilute this with water, do you heat it up.
if left as it is what would the starting gravity be.
what is the best yeast to use.
and how much sugar would you use at the final gravity,
I do like a good cider, but have only made the magmuns one,
which I found rubbish.
thanks sam.

Definitely use the guide posted by MattN

Don't add any water - you want all the apple flavour you can get. No need to heat anything - TC really is a bung it all in the FV and let it get on with it.

The OG of this juice is 1044 but my hydrogenated slightly over reads so probably really 1042. Fermentation should take it down to around 1000 or slightly lower so an ABV of 5.5%

I have used Youngs cider yeast from my LHBS which was fine but currently trying out Harris cider yeast though no idea what it will be like (perfectly fine I expect though).

Probably no added sugar though I added 2lbs of honey to my last batch (5 gallon) which tasted nice but subtle. I make mine flat so just ferment out to dry and then served flat from a closed wine fermenter with tap. No noticeable oxidation over a 6 week drinking period - YMMV. My current batch has molasses in but this is a wild experiment and definately not recommended until I know what it tastes like from first samples in a couple of months - colour in the sample jar looked more like a fairly dark bitter rather than a cider and tasted like toffee apple with a hint of liquorish. It will probably ferment out to about 8.5%. I think I may have overdone it in all respects on this one.

Never tried a kit so don't know. Certainly tastes a lot better than supermarket ciders. It is a different style to old Rosie or scrumpy type ciders so direct comparison is not fair. Makes a nice drink if you like dry cider, I haven't tried back sweetening as I don't like sweetener and I like it dry. Give it a long time to ferment and condition and it is good - the T of TC relates to how quick it is to get a brew on (no pressing etc.) not how soon it can be drunk - patience will be rewarded with cider at 12p per pint.

Enjoy,

Dave

Glad I spotted this thread! Managed to pick up enough for a couple of 40 pint batches! This wool be some seriously cheap tc!

:thumb: :cheers:

I eventually found it in one of my local branches, when I checked out the till operators said "Wow thats cheap", even she didn't know about it and it wasn't priced on the shelves. Came away with 40L - I feel a TC coming on.

Oh, this looks good! I will be checking my local tesco for this tomorrow. I was googling this afternoon looking to buy concentrated syrup, but the will do nicely instead.

Just been to my local store 4 packs all gone but Everyday Value Apple juice 16p ltr, 30 ltr grabbed now a empty shelf :cheers:

Just need something to put it in :lol: :lol:

@Blueface,
You have my sympathy, mine is still in the back of the car until

I can transfer it to an FV. Its a bugger when Tessies insist on you having to take advantage of these offers, I blame it all on them. :cheers:

Tesco is quite far out of my way, so I was relunctant to go on a wild goose chase for some juice that may or may not be in stock.

Today I was down that way so thought it pop in and have a look.

Got to the juice isle, and sure enough, lots of 4 packs of juice priced at 85p. my jaw dropped, and I promptly exited the shop to grab a trolley lol.

After loading up 36l of juice, I noticed that next to it, the value range was priced at 16p/l. I was thinking about grabbing that instead, but when its this money, is it worth arguing over 5p/l? I thought for 5p/l it was probably worth stepping up to the non value own brand... + the 4 packs are easier to carry lol.

Also grabbed 4l of princes cranberry @ 2 for £2, which is a bit expencive, but I dont mind chucking 80p extra profit at tesco for that transaction. still, it was a bit anoying that the 4l of cranberry costs 50% the price of the apple juice in a 40l batch :S.

I would have got another 36l of juice for next time, but I dont think the mrs would have been too impressed lol.

In conclusion, cheers op :)

Monkeybrew said:
OldPeculier said:
I snagged 20 litres in Cambridge last night. There was no price on it but at the checkout it came up at 85p for 4 litres. Nice!

Bugger which one, bar hill or Newmarket road? I have just made my first turbo cider, and the gravity smaple was good enough that I'd do more.......

Sorry, only just seen this. It was the Fulborn store

I have been to two different Tesco's today and both store have it priced at 85p for the four litre packs. (there is still a lot left) :clap:

I have been banned by the Mrs from buying any more, so I will have to wait until she is in the bath before I unload the other 64 litres from the boot. :lol:

Latest posts

Back