Tesco ashbeck alternative.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chillipickle

Landlord.
Reaction score
If you normally use ashbeck from tesco and can't find it from your usual store.Sainsburys have 5 ltrs of castle spring for £1.20 a bottle.

cs.JPG

Nope, we've had this before. This brand is deceptively quoting per 100ml instead of the standard per litre. This water is the same rebranded aqua-direct Staffordshire water that all the supermarkets resell under their own label. It is not the Cumbrian Ashbeck.

No - per the label, it's from Cumbria. The 5l own-label in Sainsbury come from Cumbria, the 2l and 500ml bottles come from Lichfield (at least round here they do).

Glad you’ve mentioned water cos you’ve reminded me about something.

I was in Morrisons a couple of weeks ago looking for some water. We normally use Tesco or Asda brand but we happened to be near a Morrisons so had a look at theirs. So glad I read the label!

I mostly do pale beers so this is no good for me - the bicarbonate level is quite high. I appreciate its good for darker beers perhaps but not great if you’re trying to make a lager etc. My own tap water has much less and that’s not the case with most of the other brands.

C9A5DBED-85B4-438F-BF9E-5E37EEB6020F.png

You can see the difference with my own tap water (top) and the Asda and Tesco ones, all below.

6A9B9C11-5E70-4E4F-BC95-B49C600BBF4E.png

Last edited:
No - per the label, it's from Cumbria. The 5l own-label in Sainsbury come from Cumbria, the 2l and 500ml bottles come from Lichfield (at least round here they do).
Yes that's right. I latched on to the 40ppm Ca / 160ppm alkalinity which matches Tesco Elmhurst from Staffordshire.

Glad you’ve mentioned water cos you’ve reminded me about something.

I was in Morrisons a couple of weeks ago looking for some water. We normally use Tesco or Asda brand but we happened to be near a Morrisons so had a look at theirs. So glad I read the label!

I mostly do pale beers so this is no good for me - the bicarbonate level is quite high. I appreciate its good for darker beers perhaps but not great if you’re trying to make a lager etc. My own tap water has much less and that’s not the case with most of the other brands.

View attachment 59130
You can see the difference with my own tap water (top) and the Asda and Tesco ones, all below.

View attachment 59132
Your tap water's not bad actually. It would be quite easy to adjust those levels for any style.

It makes me worried when I do a lager as the calcium and bicarbonate are so high. Wouldn't that affect it?
I wouldn't be concerned about 100ppm calcium and I think you could bring down the 131ppm bicarbonate levels to get a reasonable predicted mash pH with lactic acid. I played around once with Brunwater to see if it was feasible for me to brew a pilsner with 160ppm bottled water plus lactic acid and came to the conclusion that I probably could and would not be able to taste the acid but I'd always pick Ashbeck in preference if I could get it (this was during a time when Ashbeck was sparse on the Tesco shelves).

Latest posts

Back