Tesco Ashbeck water treatment

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keruso

Regular.
Reaction score
I have been reading strange-steve's superb water treatment guide as I haven't really done any water treatment other than adding half a campden tablet. I have a copy of my local water report, occasionally I use Tesco Ashbeck water, but mostly tap water (Portsmouth Water). Next brew I was thinking of using Ashbeck. I entered the water profile details into the forum's water calculator. As below.
Water1.jpg

The calculator made the following recommendation for a pale ale, actually it's going to be a West Coast IPA, with plenty of hops.

Water2.jpg

I need to buy epsom salt and gypsum. There's 16.66g of Gypsum to be added, can I ask a more experienced water chemist than I to comment on whether this is correct or too high ? thank you.

That's a LOT of Calcium, try the Brewersfriend.com calculator. You have to enter various values of the salts manually and try a few until it all balances out. Choose a " light hoppy" profile.

Aamcle

That's a LOT of Calcium, try the Brewersfriend.com calculator. You have to enter various values of the salts manually and try a few until it all balances out. Choose a " light hoppy" profile.

Aamcle

I input the figures into brewersfriend. It gives the target profiles too which means I can try strange-steves own brewing calculator.
Water3.jpg

to get into the green zone, I added the following..
Water4.jpg

So brewersfriend see's 6g of Gypsum is enough, that's quite a reduction.

Last edited:
That profile looks a little "clean" to me, I'd probably prefer something like this for an IPA:
150 calcium
250 sulphate
75 chloride
20 alkalinity

That's just my preference and many would disagree with that, but that's the nature of water treatment ;)

That profile looks a little "clean" to me, I'd probably prefer something like this for an IPA:
150 calcium
250 sulphate
75 chloride
20 alkalinity

That's just my preference and many would disagree with that, but that's the nature of water treatment ;)

I aim to get the calcium where I want it first.
Most of my pale ales I aim for around 180 calcium and with a 2:1 sulphate: chloride rate the sulphate normally works out around 240-250.

I aim to get the calcium where I want it first.
Most of my pale ales I aim for around 180 calcium and with a 2:1 sulphate: chloride rate the sulphate normally works out around 240-250.
That's a much more "British" approach, I approve :hat:

Latest posts

Back