Tesco selling homebrew starter kits

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Woodefordes wherry is available from our sponsor at £20, so unless it's a present, nah.

Yea, but I responded the original pricing not the quoted one later. Wherry is a nice beer tbh. Couldn't fault it when I brewed it. But too many beers to try to brew so hence I moved on. Really like the new all grain kit from lovebrewing though for £100 with fixed timer and temp control. I will prolly buy that before we hit the end of lockdown in March or when ever they decide to let us out to play again :C

My daughter's just got me 3 for £30.00.
.bargain!!
Thanks for the tip off, I picked up 3 this morning, they were priced up at £20 but went through at £10.

Mark
IMG-20210211-WA0003.jpeg

Suspect they are mostly hoping to sell these as Christmas presents, curious what sanitiser they include with it, and if it is VWP how many people will be put off due to accidentally ruining a batch by not rinsing probably.

That said as starter kits go you can do a lot worse than Wherry.

I've just bought some VWP for the first time and will be using it within the next few days. Are you referring to sanitisers that need rinsing in general, or VWP in particular? Does it have a bit of a reputation?

Suspect they are mostly hoping to sell these as Christmas presents, curious what sanitiser they include with it, and if it is VWP how many people will be put off due to accidentally ruining a batch by not rinsing probably.

That said as starter kits go you can do a lot worse than Wherry.

The cleaner is Muntons bruclens (sodium percarbonate)
I would add my kits all had Oct 2022 date on them.

Mark

I've just bought some VWP for the first time and will be using it within the next few days. Are you referring to sanitisers that need rinsing in general, or VWP in particular? Does it have a bit of a reputation?
VWP isn’t inherently a bad product the real issue is that if you do not throughly rinse after use, it can leave you with an unpleasant flavour, again if you use it correctly no issues it does the job, but no rinse sanitiser makes life so much easier and is one less thing to worry about so its great to see they have opted for a no rinse sanitiser.

Edit: I hope I’ve remembered correctly that sodium percarbonate is no rinse.

Put the yeast packets in the freezer, or at least the fridge if you're not going to brew them that soon.

I managed to pick up another 2 this morning, and four jars of H&B malt extract to go with them this morning.

I'm going to make these up, bottle them and store them in the workshop ready for the summer , as I doubt I'll be able to go away this summer.

Brilliant for a staycation !

Mark

hey, any advice on enhancing these kits? adding a ME enhancer? adding a little extra sugar to bump up the abv just a smidge? so on

what I wasn't sure about and wanted to look into because there's probably some calculator for, will the yeast handle extra sugar and how much can it take. i assume there's some calculation to calculating how much sugar/DME raise's the abv. like how much does 500 or 1000g increase it by?

also, I was reading that different sugars impart different flavours, and it was saying LME has a better flavour than DME

Last edited:
what I wasn't sure about and wanted to look into because there's probably some calculator for, will the yeast handle extra sugar and how much can it take. i assume there's some calculation to calculating how much sugar/DME raise's the abv. like how much does 500 or 1000g increase it by?

also, I was reading that different sugars impart different flavours, and it was saying LME has a better flavour than DME

The yeast with the Wherry kit will be the same as comes with almost all UK made kits - Nottingham Ale yeast, sold as Gervin at Wilko etc.
The Wherry kit makes pretty decent beer for a kit and I, for instance, added 500g of sugar and a Dry Hop or Hop tea to liven it up a bit.
If you have a look on the Kit Brewing section, there are a lot of suggestions on how to pimp up a kit. This part of the Forum is perhaps relatively smaller than it was when I first joined. In the meantime AG brewing has become much more accessible and popular, due perhaps to the availability of All-in One Brewing Systems.

But a Wherry kit makes pretty decent beer, if you have the patience to wait...

Latest posts

Back