Testing for FG

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Galena

Landlord.
Reaction score
Just a thought, I don't usually bother to test FG until two weeks are up because with small batches it is too wasteful to keep taking a sample. I was wondering if I took a sample in a sanitised jar and a sanitised hydrometer and left it in the brew fridge, whether it could be relied on to check gravity over a few days as presumably it would keep fermenting in the jar as long as no contamination?

Yes you could....often people take a sample at the beginning of fermentation and keep it really warm to force the fermentation of the sample to happen much more quickly....this way they get an idea of the likely final gravity that the main fermentation is likely to reach.

So what you are proposing doing is similar but without forcing the fermentation to happen faster.

Alternatively....get yourself a refractomer and use this to determine when your fermentation is complete and then take a sample for a proper hydrometer reading.

Yes you could....often people take a sample at the beginning of fermentation and keep it really warm to force the fermentation of the sample to happen much more quickly....this way they get an idea of the likely final gravity that the main fermentation is likely to reach.

So what you are proposing doing is similar but without forcing the fermentation to happen faster.

Alternatively....get yourself a refractomer and use this to determine when your fermentation is complete and then take a sample for a proper hydrometer reading.
Thanks, I do have a refractometer which I use for Pre boil gravity and OG but find it a bit hit and miss once alcohol is present. I did intend to use it for monitoring end of fermentation but have experienced varying degrees of success.

Latest posts

Back