Testing gravity from Demijohn.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andybiker

Reaction score
hi guys,

Had a bash at Clibit's simple all grain the other day but made a daft mistake and forgot to test the gravity.

Any ideas what it would have been?

Also how do you guys draw some off drop demijohn to test? Do you just use a sterilised syphon?

Its been in fermenting fridge over a week now and seems to have stopped. Don't want to test too often as I only have 5L. I'm going to leave it alone for 2 weeks anyway but was just wondering.

Thanks.

Cheers.

Use the recipe builder under"calculator" on the forum...put the amounts you used and what you used in the boxes...it'll give you an estimate on OG which won't be far wrong.

I'm also a 5L brewer currently. I use one of those turkey basters (sterilised, of course) which, handily, just fits into the neck of the dJ (being careful to squeeze the bulb at the end before the other end makes any contact with the liquid!). My sample jar needs about 180ml - so, testing for OG and FG essentially loses me more than a 330ml bottle from my brew. Drinking both does give an interesting early taste test - but, apart from that, it's a waste.

There's no way I can test FG three, or even two, days in a row to check stability - but I abide by the 2+2+2 rule so, two weeks in the fermenter should be enough (I've had no bottle bombs just yet!).

I drop the hydrometer into the demijohn. I'll usualy leave it in there as I have a few but If I need it back and it's a git to fish out then I get a straw, put it on the top and suck so I can lift it out. Sometimes you miss and get a lung full of co2, which is fun. Bad because you've then drawn in air which is bad if it's finished fermenting.

I drop the hydrometer into the demijohn. I'll usualy leave it in there as I have a few but If I need it back and it's a git to fish out then I get a straw, put it on the top and suck so I can lift it out. Sometimes you miss and get a lung full of co2, which is fun. Bad because you've then drawn in air which is bad if it's finished fermenting.
😄😄😄
You are definitely on a different orbit. I would enjoy a pint with you.

When I do 5l batches in demijohns, I tie a piece of fishing line ( sanitised of course) round the top of the hydrometer before I drop it in. That way it's easy to retrieve.

A short piece of plastic tubing over the stem will 'hoick' it out easily. Especially if the tubing has a slight curvature. For the OG, when the hydrometer is riding high I put the cap on without the airlock and this keeps the stick from moving sideways.

Latest posts

Back