TETB’s Brewdays

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is this the gunk that escaped from the bags or did you just chuck them to rock and roll? I think we're pretty much stuck with pellets for some varieties. My preferred combination is to use leaf for bittering - if the bittering hop comes as leaf, like EKG, then all well and good- if not I use Magnum, and then put the late hops in an oversized bag or tights-leg. The leaf provides a filter bed. I'm thinking while writing that I should really look for a neutral bittering hop with a lower alpha acid content so that I could use more and get a better filter bed.
Yes, I just put them in loose as I don’t actually possess any kind of hop bag - hereforeto I’ve only ever used leaf hops and I always put those in loose so they can freely circulate during the boil … evidently for pellets that’s not really a good idea :confused:

Just got back after a few days away so of course my priority was to nip into the garage to check the progress on the beers 😄

The GH London Bitter for my friend's party is looking good. It's had 2 weeks in the FV and it's cleared down very well. Tastes promising too: good mouthfeel and sufficiently dry. I think I might be able to detect the smallest bit of aftertaste but I'm not going to fret about that until after I've carbonated it and given it a chance to condition.

The Summer Breeze with the NZ hops has come along well too. The BRY-97 has done a super job and brought it down from OG 1043 to about 1006 after only 5 days at 18ºc athumb..
It's very cloudy - forgot to take a pic, but think NEIPA, so I might have a go at fining this one with gelatine. Flavour's interesting and is certainly a departure from my normal style - which was part of the objective so I'm not complaining. As intended it's pretty dry, which works well with the aroma that has a definite grapefruit element to it. Interested to see how this one works out - I guess I'd better try to limit the oxygen exposure.

As promised - GH London bitter: fresh out of the FV; needs to clear down a bit but it tastes goooooooood

IMG_5995.jpeg

Possible some hop creep?
I had to go and look that one up :-)

The key aspect seems to be "hops contain a “diastase” which means that they have an enzyme which breaks down non-fermentable sugars into fermentable sugars."
OK I *think* I understand that athumb..

I'm planning to leave the beer to its own devices in the FV for a few more days to see what transpires... stay tuned folks

I had to go and look that one up :-)

The key aspect seems to be "hops contain a “diastase” which means that they have an enzyme which breaks down non-fermentable sugars into fermentable sugars."
OK I *think* I understand that athumb..

I'm planning to leave the beer to its own devices in the FV for a few more days to see what transpires... stay tuned folks

I’ve had it before after a big dry hop, I think the trick is to dry hop at below fermentation temperatures and then to keep the beer cold once stored 🍺

Recipe for the Vienna Lager :-)

Malt
  • 3.06kg Vienna Malt (Weyermann)
  • 0.49kg Munich I (Weyermann)
  • 0.09kg Melanoidin Malt (Weyermann)
  • 0.04kg Chocolate Malt (Muntons)
Hops
  • 30g Northern Brewer (6.7%) @ 75min
  • 17.8g Tettnang (3.8%) @ 0min
  • 17.4g Hallertauer Hersbrucker (3.0%) @ 0 min
Mash
  • 65ºc for 45min
  • 70ºc for 10 min
  • 76ºc for 5 min
Ferment
  • 0.5ml NBS clarity
  • OYL-111 German Bock

Attachments

• TETB Vienna.pdf
    177.8 KB · Views: 61
Looks very much like the Greg Hughes recipe. I made it and didn't like it at all.
Made another with just Vienna and Munich. Don't like that one either. I don't seem to have much luck with Vienna lagers, but now it's the season again, I'll have another go.

Looks very much like the Greg Hughes recipe. I made it and didn't like it at all.
Made another with just Vienna and Munich. Don't like that one either. I don't seem to have much luck with Vienna lagers, but now it's the season again, I'll have another go.
Yes I must give all credit to GH for the hops and grain, that's for sure athumb.. hopefully I'll enjoy it better than you did, AA:eek:

Slice of home made bread as well by the looks of it. Bit of melted cheddar to get your strength up.
Down here they have their own marmite and it's rank. Luckily still eeking out a jar of Marmite from the UK and Vegemite a good backstop. Different stuff but better than NZ marmite. Only thing it's good for is smearing on the mantelpiece to keep the children away from the fire.
Hadn't seen your thread before but I use the commercial Clarity ferm in my non dark brews and think it really helps.
1650092476209.png

Literally Chalk and Cheese

Slice of home made bread as well by the looks of it. Bit of melted cheddar to get your strength up.
Down here they have their own marmite and it's rank. Luckily still eeking out a jar of Marmite from the UK and Vegemite a good backstop. Different stuff but better than NZ marmite. Only thing it's good for is smearing on the mantelpiece to keep the children away from the fire.
Hadn't seen your thread before but I use the commercial Clarity ferm in my non dark brews and think it really helps.
View attachment 66767

Literally Chalk and Cheese
Heh - yes, homemade SD bread: goes well with the marmite :-)
Not quite at my sharpest this morning: still faffing about setting the kit up…
9CA9A171-8FAA-4643-BE54-FAE8132E610D.jpeg

Latest posts

Back