Texas shooting 19 dead.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What amazes me is the fact Johnny108 thinks it's totally acceptable to have semi automatic assault rifles in the hands of the general public so they can use them against the government in some future fight that we all know is never going to happen and in the meantime the 1% mentioned earlier will use them to kill as many kids as they can in the shortest time possible.

Let's get real Johnny if this ever did happen the government wouldn't be fighting with semi automatic weapons they would be using drones, helicopters tanks and whatever else necessary to beat the plebs into submission, I have a feeling your assault rifle isn't going to be up to the job if this ever becomes a reality.

I think Chippy that you can legally own a artillery gun up to 100mm in certain states as well .

What changes (if any) would you like to see brought in to try to stop this before it happens again or is it too late?
The changes aren't the problem. I don't doubt we have come up with the right ideas, even. We need to implement the models from the UK, Australia, Japan and any other first-world country. "How would we get all Americans on the same page?" is the issue. I honestly think that the RW politicians don't care and sacrifice lives for votes. Plus some of that fear-mongering they do.
Look what happened with our COVID-19 response at the beginning.

One person said on the other site (gun control is being discussed there as well), the intention of the machine is important to take into account.
Obviously, that could happen.

More than a few of these mass shootings are politically motivated which makes them terrorist activities. No matter how bonkers the shooter, still inspired by political discourse (usually false and inflammatory).

We need to implement the models from the UK, Australia, Japan and any other first-world country. "How would we get all Americans on the same page?

Maybe a start would be to get rid and stop selling semi auto assault rifles, i may be wrong but imagine there will be many in the pro gun side of America who will see them as more trouble than they are worth especially as they are always used in mass killings.

Could you enlighten us to why you need semi automatic assault rifles for pest control?
There are legitimate reasons for semi automatic firearms for pest control in NZ. Deer, pigs, goats, rabbits, possums, canada geese etc are all introduced, and if not adequately controlled through hunting will ruin the environment (no natural predators).
Not uncommon for DOC (dept of conservation) staff to cull pests from helicopters, and semi autos are the best tool for the job.

You can still own a semi .22 for rabbits, and genuine pest control operators can get dispensation to own semi auto centrefire rifles. Some may be military style (surplus SLRs were used to great effect) but usually they are not assault style weapons. There is no reason some fat bloke in a stained singlet should own one for dubious 'defense' or other reasons...

In the uk , you can have a three shot semi auto shotgun on a standard certificate, on a firearms certificate you can have up to about eight shot ,as for a rifle you are only allowed a semi auto in 22.

Maybe a start would be to get rid and stop selling semi auto assault rifles, i may be wrong but imagine there will be many in the pro gun side of America who will see them as more trouble than they are worth especially as they are always used in mass killings.
We're thinking the same way on this and I don't think there are bad ideas, such as you mention. Your idea appears completely reasonable. It is logical to start somewhere like that. Maybe weaning the US slowly off guns will work.
The forces at play here (Republican government) are going to be difficult to budge since they have their constituents wrapped up in knots about how scary everything is.

Gun control support is at a serious low point in the US right now, as a result of the push to “defund the police”.
Semi automatic weapons are the single most popular class of firearm in the USA.
Calling them (wrongly) “assault rifles” has not changed this.
(An assault rifle, by definition, must be capable of full automatic fire).
Attempting to “wean” Americans off of guns would have been more successful before the BLM/antifa riots of the last few years. The footage of the police holding down the parents at the Texas school (while the shooter was killing kids) is going viral, and more parents are buying guns as a direct result of it….

“Former US President Donald Trump has addressed the National Rifle Association at its annual convention in Houston.

He called for stronger security measures in schools, including armed guards, days after the deadly shooting at Robb Elementary in Uvalde, Texas.”

From the BBC this morning …

… to prove “Once an idiot, always an idiot!”
:hat:

I heard this being read out in the radio yesterday, (Pat Kenny on Newstalk).

How about we treat every young man who wants to buy a gun like every woman who wants to get an abortion—mandatory 48-hr waiting period, parental permission, a note from his doctor proving he understands what he's about to do, a video he has to watch about the effects of gun violence, an ultrasound wand up the ass (just because). Let's close down all but one gun shop in every state and make him travel hundreds of miles, take time off work, and stay overnight in a strange town to get a gun. Make him walk through a gauntlet of people holding photos of loved ones who were shot to death, people who call him a murderer and beg him not to buy a gun.

It makes more sense to do this with young men and guns than with women and health care, right? I mean, no woman getting an abortion has killed a room full of people in seconds, right?

Sheesh, buying more guns...?
Really seems the wrong course of action to (I suspect) most of the world...

How about, maybe, stopping kids being able to buy weapons capable of mass murder?
Kids used to bring guns to school for competition shooting. The guns didn’t change- the culture did.
And, by law, an 18 year old is not a kid.

When I asked before I was told that it depends on the state , individual states can set their own age limit , but if they don't conform with the central governments recommendation of 21 years old then they lose out on benefits issued from central funds.

Latest posts

Back