Texas shooting 19 dead.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What is antifa?

A quick Google brought this from the BBC.

3. What are they opposed to?

Neo-Nazis, Neo-fascism, white supremacists and racism, and these days the movement that encapsulates some of those ideas: the alt-right.

We spoke to secret Antifa groups in Oregon. They said they come from a variety of political backgrounds but they were united in their opposition to fascism, and they have an anti-government streak. They said they see creeping authoritarianism in the current American administration that they are looking to build "a movement that really insulates us from the policies of Donald Trump".

"It's not just resisting the federal administration but also resisting moves that can lead to fascism," one member told us, "and those happen locally whether from local officials or from local alt-right movements.

Last edited:
What acts of terrorism have they been responsible for?
You don’t know how to use google yourself?
start with the psychological motivation of the group:

Last edited by a moderator:
Both sides of this argument seem to be based on “You said/did … !” or “He said/did … !” in the end it looks like a “Handbags at dawn!” kind of argument …

… and then we remember the children killed and Trump’s refusal to accept that he lost!

Shakespeare wrote in Hamlet “Something is rotten in the state of Denmark!” over 400 years ago and 300 years later a Frenchman said “The more it changes, the more it’s the same thing.”

We are on a roundabout!
:hat:

You don’t know how to use google yourself?
start with the psychological motivation of the group:
No need for sarcasm. Given your original statement, it wasn’t an unreasonable question to which you appear to be unable to answer.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've always wondered why people think antifa is bad.

"Antifa" is a shortening of anti-fascist. So you are against antifa, then you are against anti-fascism, and thus pro-fascism. Are these people really saying "hey, I'm a fascist!"?!?

I've always wondered why people think antifa is bad.
"Antifa" is a shortening of anti-fascist. So you are against antifa, then you are against anti-fascism, and thus pro-fascism. Are these people really saying "hey, I'm a fascist!"?!?

This video starts at the part where historian Mike Bray explains what Antifa are all about -

Last edited:
What's intriguing about the far-right is the "do your own research" mantra. It sounds good on the surface but it turns out it's a mindless and ironic phrase because the "research" consists of out-there blogs or online chatrooms. None of these "sources" are held accountable for what they print or say.
When I used to go on FOX NEWS (I do not recommend it), the sources given to support arguments were embarrassing.
Even the Ngo guy in the video above, a quick look reveals a far-right individual with an agenda. There is not even a pretense at being objective.
Yet, millions of Americans can't get enough from these dangerous sources, believing or fooling themselves into believing that they're getting the unadulterated truth.

My cousin in Oregon knows what they are. She is afraid to go to Portland because of them. We are Independents and like neither extremes of the far right or left. Antifa are no heroes. They attacked the Police station and Federal courthouse trying to set them on fire with people inside.
That was much more likely to be the anarchists that have been bringing Portland down for a really long time. I lived in the Portland area for over 20 years, the last 14 across the river in Vancouver, WA. I got to dread going to work in Portland, never knowing if the anarchists were going to disrupt everything and make the commute a nightmare. Not to mention the aggressive (bordering on violent) pan handlers.
My wife mostly grew up in Portland and it's gone down the dumper since then. The Fort Wayne (Indiana) of today strongly resembles the Portland of her youth, making our move here the right idea.

No need for sarcasm. Given your original statement, it wasn’t an unreasonable question to which you appear to be unable to answer.
It’s a time issue. I don’t have much to spend
Everyone here already has their answers. The answers from others will not change the minds of those they are talking to. A fruitless conversation.

That was much more likely to be the anarchists that have been bringing Portland down for a really long time. I lived in the Portland area for over 20 years, the last 14 across the river in Vancouver, WA. I got to dread going to work in Portland, never knowing if the anarchists were going to disrupt everything and make the commute a nightmare. Not to mention the aggressive (bordering on violent) pan handlers.
My wife mostly grew up in Portland and it's gone down the dumper since then. The Fort Wayne (Indiana) of today strongly resembles the Portland of her youth, making our move here the right idea.
That's a shame it's such a beautiful city. I have no tolerance for those who try to advance their causes with intimidation or violence on either the left or right.

"The entire city [of Portland, Oregon] is ablaze all the time."
--45*, August 2020
Yes, he actually said that. I think it's safe to say, however, that we can trust the former President in all things (it's not like he had over 30K lies or misleading statements during his four-year term).
Anyway, if one wants to blame upticks in violence (still lower than national average for such a city) on "anarchists" which also means antifa, I suppose, instead of run-of-the-mill criminals, that's an interesting take.

What should be far more concerning than antifa (a nice topic for conservative rhetoric) is the white nationalists and white supremacists (which have actually been documented as being the most dangerous terrorist threat to Americans on American soil).
1654195254701.png

Repost of this image. This is INSIDE Michigan's State Capitol.
These kids are just upset about COVID restrictions. Just a friendly game of intimidation. Notice they're covering their faces.
I really don't think the false equivalences should be made between antifa and the white nationalists.

I'm a gun owner here in the states. I think all of these shootings are horrible and preventable.

The far right in the U.S. is not conservative and frankly I don't know what they are because I'm a conservative and follow conservative values and they absolutely do not!

They need to put in an ASSAULT WEAPONS BAN. To many have died and as it stands right now U.S. government officials value lobbyist money and power over our children's and everyone else's lives. Hell, you have to worry about this whether you are in a grocery store or an elementary school!

My wife's high school wasn't far from Columbine when that happened and I'm told the shooters had a hit list of schools and hers was on it.

And Uvalde Texas what the hell cops sit outside for an hour while children are massacred. To me this is the ultimate act of cowardice! Turn in your badges and uniforms ALL of you and that police chief can **** off!

And Uvalde Texas what the hell cops sit outside for an hour while children are massacred. To me this is the ultimate act of cowardice! Turn in your badges and uniforms ALL of you and that police chief can **** off!
Still can’t get my head around this.
But a colleague of mine who just returned from hols in the states told me that the gunman (well, boy) had body armour and armour-piercing bullets for which the cops had no plan to counter once he was holed up - hence they waited for the SWAT team.
I don’t know how true it is though, but I guess we’ll find out.

Back