Thatcher

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I met Margaret Thatcher. I supported her politics, saw how she tamed the units and generated a robust economy. Inflation was reigned in, the reduction of interest rates was commenced and living standards increased. Some people didn't/don't like her and that's up to them. I find it odd that some of the loudest critics were not even born when she left office. Politics change - I voted for Blair in 1997, he later sent me to an illegal war for which he has never (or at least not yet) been held to account. He also surrendered to the IRA for which I will personally never forgive him.

Hi Devex my beef with Thatcher and Blair are not re there manifesto agendas but the wars they both were involved in that we should have not been involved in.
I actually see Blair the worst from a moral point as he should have been charged with war crimes and now is probably the richest ex PM we have ever seen.
Sorry I do not normally get involved in politics for the same reason as religion but I do not see the issues they created as politics but moral issues

Thatchers do a lot of good. They keep the rain out!
That women destroyed unity in this country and had no moral code, just like her son.
Perversely when she destroyed the mining industry she turned out to be ahead of her time.

I find it odd that some of the loudest critics were not even born when she left office.

Probably because get legacy continues to be felt keenly by these people.

She did all of the above, but ultimately left us with an unbalanced economy overly reliant on financial services. What she did was insidious.

Blair was a moral crusader, and should be be behind bars.

Margaret Thatcher, Prime Minister from 1979 to 1990, is one of the most divisive figures in British Political history.

Ever wondered why she is so hated by some and loved by others?

Unquestionably strong and successful in her political career, she has garnered love and hate in near equal measure, though some say she merely highlighted the divisions already present in society at the time.

Thatcher – Why is she hated?
I can’t hope to cover all of the reasons people hate Thatcher. I couldn't even hope to cover all the reasons why people don't hate her, and there are seemingly considerably fewer of those!

What I can do though is highlight some of the main reasons why Thatcher was hated, so below I've selected the ten main reasons most often cited. These 10 reasons go a long way to explaining the strength of feeling her legacy has left.

Looking for a specific reason why people hate Thatcher? Click on a link below to jump directly to the relevant section…
  1. She supported the retention of Capital Punishment
  2. She destroyed Britain’s manufacturing industry and her policies led to mass unemployment
  3. She presided over interest rates of 15%
  4. She voted against the relaxation of divorce laws
  5. She abolished free milk for School Children
  6. She precipitated a Social Housing crisis still being felt today
  7. The Poll Tax
  8. She sowed the seeds of NHS Privatisation
  9. Section 28 – Thatchers quiet homophobia?
  10. The Irish Hunger Strikes
https://www.josharcher.uk/blog/why-margaret-thatcher-is-hated/

Margaret Thatcher, Prime Minister from 1979 to 1990, is one of the most divisive figures in British Political history.

Ever wondered why she is so hated by some and loved by others?

Unquestionably strong and successful in her political career, she has garnered love and hate in near equal measure, though some say she merely highlighted the divisions already present in society at the time.

Thatcher – Why is she hated?
I can’t hope to cover all of the reasons people hate Thatcher. I couldn't even hope to cover all the reasons why people don't hate her, and there are seemingly considerably fewer of those!

What I can do though is highlight some of the main reasons why Thatcher was hated, so below I've selected the ten main reasons most often cited. These 10 reasons go a long way to explaining the strength of feeling her legacy has left.

Looking for a specific reason why people hate Thatcher? Click on a link below to jump directly to the relevant section…
  1. She supported the retention of Capital Punishment
  2. She destroyed Britain’s manufacturing industry and her policies led to mass unemployment
  3. She presided over interest rates of 15%
  4. She voted against the relaxation of divorce laws
  5. She abolished free milk for School Children
  6. She precipitated a Social Housing crisis still being felt today
  7. The Poll Tax
  8. She sowed the seeds of NHS Privatisation
  9. Section 28 – Thatchers quiet homophobia?
  10. The Irish Hunger Strikes
https://www.josharcher.uk/blog/why-margaret-thatcher-is-hated/

2 and 6 are biggies. People go on about how she modernised our economy, as if there was only one way to do it. She ripped the heart out of swathes of the UK needlessly, and left us completely beholden to financial services. The Germans went about modernising their economy in a much smarter fashion, recognising that manufacturing and heavy industry still had a big part to play.

It's a long story and impossible to prove by I blame her for the death of my Mum who was only 62.

……..

She did all of the above, but ultimately left us with an unbalanced economy overly reliant on financial services.

When The Bitch was banging on about how the UK would become a “Service Economy”, even her best friend Ronald Reagan said to her ….

“Margaret, you can’t base an
economy on people opening
doors for each other.
Someone has to make
something somewhere!”
:hat:

. WhatNow you have mentioned them two together Ronnie and Maggie all I see is them as spitting image puppets and can not take them serious :laugh8: :laugh8: :laugh8:
[/QUOTE]
793201F4-9026-489B-901D-182A64702918.png

Was about to ask that
Perhaps surrender is an emotive term, but he granted freedom to convicted terrorists, pardoned those on the run and granted 'comfort' to those implicated while doing nothing to honour the effort and sacrifice of those who suffered and died in the name of law and order. I served in NI - in one of the most dangerous locations and survived several attempts by people to do me harm and when offered a chance to go back as a tourist a few years ago I declined as I left too much of my soul there the first time. I believe Blair sold us down the river because he wanted to be the hero of the hour. I also believe that the invasion of Iraq was illegal in hindsight. I studied the intelligence leading to the war in depth for my Masters and what we did as a nation was shocking. I served in Iraq and gained a deep knowledge of (some of) the people - they thanked us for removing Sadam and perhaps that would have been a sufficiently noble reason for war, though the stated on was false.

I shall not be commenting further on this thread other than to say, Margaret Thatcher was not very tall but once she started to speak that didn't really matter much.

Perhaps surrender is an emotive term, but he granted freedom to convicted terrorists, pardoned those on the run and granted 'comfort' to those implicated while doing nothing to honour the effort and sacrifice of those who suffered and died in the name of law and order. I served in NI - in one of the most dangerous locations and survived several attempts by people to do me harm and when offered a chance to go back as a tourist a few years ago I declined as I left too much of my soul there the first time. I believe Blair sold us down the river because he wanted to be the hero of the hour. I also believe that the invasion of Iraq was illegal in hindsight. I studied the intelligence leading to the war in depth for my Masters and what we did as a nation was shocking. I served in Iraq and gained a deep knowledge of (some of) the people - they thanked us for removing Sadam and perhaps that would have been a sufficiently noble reason for war, though the stated on was false.

I shall not be commenting further on this thread other than to say, Margaret Thatcher was not very tall but once she started to speak that didn't really matter much.
RESPECT

I may not share your politics, but I respect the thoughtful nature of your replies. I don't know what the right answer was for NI, but the longer time goes on, I feel that some form of truth and reconciliation process would've been helpful for all sides to heal and move on.

I certainly hope you're not put off from further discussion here due to the clear anti-Thatcher sentiment on this thread. I think there is real value in discussion of such topics, especially if it doesn't become an echo chamber.

'I shall not be commenting further on this thread other than to say, Margaret Thatcher was not very tall but once she started to speak that didn't really matter much'
True - some suddenly felt sick

Back