Thatcher

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Discussion is about peoples respect for their views and experiences which some of us believe but have not experienced
RESPECT

Perhaps surrender is an emotive term, but he granted freedom to convicted terrorists, pardoned those on the run and granted 'comfort' to those implicated while doing nothing to honour the effort and sacrifice of those who suffered and died in the name of law and order. I served in NI - in one of the most dangerous locations and survived several attempts by people to do me harm and when offered a chance to go back as a tourist a few years ago I declined as I left too much of my soul there the first time. I believe Blair sold us down the river because he wanted to be the hero of the hour. I also believe that the invasion of Iraq was illegal in hindsight. I studied the intelligence leading to the war in depth for my Masters and what we did as a nation was shocking. I served in Iraq and gained a deep knowledge of (some of) the people - they thanked us for removing Sadam and perhaps that would have been a sufficiently noble reason for war, though the stated on was false.

I shall not be commenting further on this thread other than to say, Margaret Thatcher was not very tall but once she started to speak that didn't really matter much.
I have no desire to get into a tit for tat discussion on the history of Ireland. It's important to point out that not all terrorists wore masks, they actually wore uniforms.

I was sorry to see @devexwarrior link the political machinations of our Government at home with activities overseas!

When the Iranian Revolution resulted in the mass evacuation of expats I was in Malta on “local leave”! How no-one in Government could see it coming was a mystery to me!

Ditto the Falkland War! Argentina managed to mobilise and transport a whole military operation across hundreds of miles of ocean and again caught us by surprise!

The two scenarios occurred under two different Governments so I conclude that they both needed the disruption for their own domestic ends.
:hat:

I had no idea Margaret Thatcher was controversial. It wasn't something hit upon here, at least from what I saw--she was just a Prime Minister.
Were there any Prime Ministers that most people thought was the cat's meow or nearly so? What I've seen, none of them were even remotely palatable.

I had no idea Margaret Thatcher was controversial. It wasn't something hit upon here, at least from what I saw--she was just a Prime Minister.
Were there any Prime Ministers that most people thought was the cat's meow or nearly so? What I've seen, none of them were even remotely palatable.
I know quite a few people who went out and celebrated when she died. I do live close to Liverpool though and she was "unpopular" here to say the least!

Latest posts

Back